0.05 or 0.01 level of p for multiple comparisons?

I wrote a scientific paper measuring ovarian volumes after two different surgical procedures performed on either ovary.
The measurements were at three different time-points (1, 3 and 6 months). Evaluated patient numbers were different at the three time-poimts since some of them got pregnant and ovarian volumes would not be accurate anymore. I used a paired t-test at each timepoint.
No significant difference was present at the first two timepoints, whereas at the third (with a smaller numebr of patients, 40 instead of the initial 51) p was 0.04.
The referee questions that I should use a 0.01 instead of a 0.05:
"with many comparisons the effect on the type I error rate is to dilute it, hence it is common to consider 0.01 instead of 0.05". May I answer that I agree, however that we chose to stick with the 0.05 threshold since it is not correct to change methods AFTER the results have been analyzed, and we only add a call for caution for a possible type I error in the Discussion?
Thank you

Last edited:

rogojel

TS Contributor
Hi, as you only have 3 time points you could run a one way anova with the time points as the factor and finally a post-hoc test. A post hoc test would automaticaly take care of the effect your referee mentioned and there are several to chose from.

Regards

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Either approaches are fine, you can change alpha or clearly state the limitation of your analytic approach. Many may cavorted the former approach in that there is lalways a risk that readers may not read the discussion.

Either approaches are fine, you can change alpha or clearly state the limitation of your analytic approach. Many may cavorted the former approach in that there is lalways a risk that readers may not read the discussion.

Thank you very much to both of you