3 variables, 1 IV 2 DV? how to conduct appropriate stats tests?

emilb

Hi,
I'm starting to analyse data for my dissertation.
My study has 3 variables- filter use, body image satisfaction, and consideration of cosmetic surgery.
my hypothesis was participants who use filters will have lower body image satisfaction and will be more likely to consider cosmetic surgery.
So, my IV= filter use and the other 2 are DVs.
I've been told to do a pearsons r correlation and a regression analysis, however I dont know if I can do these with all 3 variables together, or if I need to do seperate analyses for 1. filter use and body image satisfaction, and 2. filter use and consideration of cosmetic surgery.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

katxt

It is possible to have two DV but probably two regressions are fine. They certainly are easier to do, easier to understand, easier to interpret, and easier to explain.

emilb

It is possible to have two DV but probably two regressions are fine. They certainly are easier to do, easier to understand, easier to interpret, and easier to explain.
Hi, thankyou for your reply!
I was using SPSS and it wouldn't let me use 2 DV's so is it best if I do 2 seperate regressions then?
Also, if I do this will I have to do two seperate pearsons correlations too or can I keep this as it is with all 3 together?

katxt

Yes. I would do two regressions and get two correlations. However, you may need to be careful that your data is suitable. Plot it first and if the points look as if they are trying to be straight(ish) then things should be OK.