4x2 Chi-Square HELP!

Hi,

I'm doing my dissertation for my Masters and I am in desperate need of help!

I need to run 4x2 chi-squares in SPSS. I understand the assumptions (all expected counts must be above 1 and there should be no more than 20% of expected counts below 5), however as I am running multiple tests I am at risk of type 1 error.

1. Do I need to apply the Monte Carlo method? And if so, what for?

2. My supervisor mentioned the Bonferroni test - how do I apply this to chi-squares and when would it be necessary?

3. If a significant result is found in the 4x2 chi-square, what follow-up tests do I then need to run? Do I then just carry out chi-squares for each of the groups to identify where the significant relationship is?

4. Any other suggestions of what may need to be done?

I would realllllllyyyyy appreciate any help you can give me. I've tried the internet and multiple stats text books, but I can only find 2x2 chi-square tests in detail!! It is due next week (and it is my birthday! :shakehead) - it is not that I have left it til the last minute. I had just ran loadssssssss of 2x2 chi-squares and after reading my first draft my supervisor has said it would look a lot less complicated by running fewer 4x2's.

Anyone who responds, thank you so much, you're a lifesaver!!!!

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Hi,
Just an handful of hints.
Take into account the table of standardized residuals to identify what cell has an obs value significantly different from the exp one unger the null-hypothesis.

As for ch-sq assumptions, I have read that it is quite robust in relation to the presence of few small values. In any instance, permutation ch-sq test can be used when assumptions are not met.

I hope this can help, and I look forward for further hints by other Forum's member

Best wishes
Gm

gianmarco

TS Contributor
By the way, re-reading your post, I realized that you have not provided details about your research, your data, your goals, etc

May be that other members can give you more appropriate suggestions once they get a clearer picture of your data and goals.

Regards,
Gm

trinker

ggplot2orBust
becky52 said:
If a significant result is found in the 4x2 chi-square, what follow-up tests do I then need to run?
From my experience I will add about this question...

The O-E values will show you where a significanct difference resides. Also some have suggested using a phi coefficient from a 2 x2 table as an effect size. This requires combining cells to have a group of interest against all others (almost like a planned contrast when we combine groups).

trinker

ggplot2orBust
becky52 said:
however as I am running multiple tests I am at risk of type 1 error
May I ask why you're running multiple tests if you have a 4x2 design? I agree with GM that more info would help us give you better answers.