Alternative to 2 way anova

Hi,

I have two groups (control and drug) with 9 rats each, with heart rate measured. The drug (and control solution) were given as 30 minute constant rate IV infusions in an escalation design ... 1 mg/kg, 2, 3, and 4 mg/kg with heart rate data collection at the end of each 30 minute infusion to yield data that is repeated measures and time matched with the control. The rats were randomized based on baseline heart rate. My first instinct is to run a two way rm anova with post tests to see differences between treated and control...would this be correct? I’ve also been told that I should be looking at the dose response relationship so alternatives should be looked at. Any advise?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Well, you did not yet state your research question, or your hypotheses, or what you want to find out.

By the way, where is this study carried out? I would have assumed that experimentation with
mammals requires an a priori plan for the statistical analysis and/or employment of a statistician?

With kind regards

Karabiner

We are simply trying to see if there is an increase in heart rate, with our hypothesis being that there will be, probably in a dose dependent manner. It is with a university and since this is exploratory and not for publication we don’t usually have an a priori plan as we can judge this without stats. We did see an increase of up to 20% hr. Since people are asking about stats now i have to come up with something to make them happy. Thanks so much

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Since the ethics of your research seems dubious to me, I won't deal with this further.
By the way: since February you've repeatedly asked the same type of question
on studies with a very similar design, and you received competent answers.
For those who might feel inclined to work on your problem, you could maybe
describe what in particular you haven't understood up to now.

With kind regards

Karabiner