Analysis of 5 point Likert Scale Data

AAA

I am working on analysis of a survey conducted with a 5 point likert agreement scale. I need to explain why 70% agreement (combined agreed and strongly disagreed responses) or less is not a positive response. I am trying to explain that there should be 100% agreement. Anyway, are there statistics on that? Something along the lines of when you have x% of respondents agreeing, it demonstrates that participants have a clear understanding of the information, etc? Is there any research on that? A comparison is that there is data on response rate and what constitutes a positive one. Or am I just grasping for straws?

Last edited:

CB

Super Moderator
I need to explain why 70% agreement (combined agreed and strongly disagreed responses) or less is not a positive response. I am trying to explain that there should be 100% agreement.
Why are you combining agreed and strongly disagreed responses? :eek: Do you mean agreed and strongly agreed?

What percentage of agreement is a "positive" response and how much agreement there "should" be are issues of (rather subjective) interpretation, not statistical analysis per se. Btw, trying to argue that this isn't a "positive" response doesn't sound like a great idea at all - both because of the vague nature of the statement, and also because it sounds like the mean response WAS a positive response to the stimulus statement.

Why don't you just report what the actual data says? E.g. well over half of respondents agreed with the stimulus statement, but 30% didn't.