Analysis part for thesis: Spearman‘s range correlation test?

Dear Forum members,
I kindly need your help in deciding what statistical method to use in the analysis part of my thesis.
What measurements do I have:
- expatriate adjustment (5-point Likert scale - from "Not Adjusted At All" to "Very Well Adjusted")
- satisfaction with organizational support during the international assignment (5-point Likert scale - from "Very Unsatisfied" to "Very Satisfied"

My goal is to understand if positive adjustment is the result of organizational support influence. The sample size is 30 questionnaires. I was thinking about Spearman‘s range correlation test, while the sample size is small:confused:... What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations,
Leafe

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
So your sample size is 30?

Spearman seems fine. An option for visualizing is a scatter plot with some noise added (jitter) so values dont overlap.

Analytically you can also dichotomize one to the variables if it makes sense and run a wilcoxon rank sum test.

So your sample size is 30?

Spearman seems fine. An option for visualizing is a scatter plot with some noise added (jitter) so values dont overlap.

Analytically you can also dichotomize one to the variables if it makes sense and run a wilcoxon rank sum test.
Dear hlsmith,
Yep, my sample size is 30.
:tup: Thanks a lot for your recommendation and help.

There is another question which I can not figure out... I need to indicate the general tendency for overall correlation between organizational support and expatriate adjustment. The thing is that to measure organizational support I've asked 15 questions and to measure adjustment I've asked 10 questions (please have a look in attachment). The question is what is the best way to find kind of "average" for organizational support and adjustment so I could compare them using Spearman?:confused:

Thanks in advance,
Leafe

Karabiner

TS Contributor
What do you mean by average? If all 15 questions on organizational support jointly measure the same construct, you can just sum them up. The same with expatriate adjustment. You can then correlate organizational support and expatriate adjustment using those sum scores.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Dear Karabiner,
you've got the point. I just had doubts if this is OK to sum up. Now everything is absolutely clear.

Thanks a lot for all your help and advice.

Kind regards,
Leafe