Ancova

mia

hei,

i am comparing body-measyrments of two groups of fish that are fed different diets against each other. the problem is that the two diets lead two very different growt; one grow quickly and the other slowly. thus, the variance of body length (one of the predictor variables) are unequal unless i log-tramsform. the other predictor variable is type of diet. the response variable are other body measurments, i.e. jaw and eye length. when i do levene's test on the response variable i get a significant difference between the two diets (after trasnformation). however, when i plot the residuals agaisnt the fitted values (after transfoming both the response and the predictor variable) the variance seem okay.

so my question is; do i have to perfom a leven's test to show that the variance is equal or can i refer to the plotting of the model when i say that the data are not violating the assumptions of ANCOVA.

thank you so much for ur answer

Regards, mia

You're saying that after transforming the variables (log), your Levene's is fine? Then why not use the transformed measurements?

-e

hei,

i am comparing body-measyrments of two groups of fish that are fed different diets against each other. the problem is that the two diets lead two very different growt; one grow quickly and the other slowly. thus, the variance of body length (one of the predictor variables) are unequal unless i log-tramsform. the other predictor variable is type of diet. the response variable are other body measurments, i.e. jaw and eye length. when i do levene's test on the response variable i get a significant difference between the two diets (after trasnformation). however, when i plot the residuals agaisnt the fitted values (after transfoming both the response and the predictor variable) the variance seem okay.

so my question is; do i have to perfom a leven's test to show that the variance is equal or can i refer to the plotting of the model when i say that the data are not violating the assumptions of ANCOVA.

thank you so much for ur answer

Regards, mia

mia

no my levene's test is not fine. that is my problem; transfroming the response variable doesn't make the levene's okay. but when i transform both the response and the continouos explanatory variables the variance seem okay when i visually "check" it by plotting the residuals against the fitted values.

my qusetion is then: in order to use ANCOVA do i have to say that the levene's test is not significant or is it okay to say that i visually checked it?

thanx for all help,
mia