Another Bayes Problem

Hello, thanks for taking the time to look at my question. I'm a first year student at a university in VA and I'm taking an entry level statistics course. I'm having a problem grasping the Bayes Theorem. It's very frustrating because I've done well in other maths like Calculus but statistics and probablity I can't get a handle on. My main problem seems just setting up the values. Here's the question.

A soft drink bottling company maintains records concerning the number of unacceptable bottles of soft drink from the filling and capping machines. Based on past data, the probability that a bottle came from machine 1 and was nonconforming is .01 and the probability that a bottle came from machine 2 and was nonconforming is .025. Half the bottles are filled on machine 1 and the other half are filled on machine 2. If a filled bottle of soft drink is selected at random, what is the probability that

a:it is a nonconforming bottle?
b:it was filled on machine 1 and is a conforming bottle?
c:it was filled on machine 1 or is a conforming bottle?
d:Suppose you know that the bottle was produced on machine 1. What is the probability that it is nonconforming?
e:Suppose you know that the bottle is nonconforming. What is the probability that it was produced on machine 1?
f:Explain the difference in the answers to d and e.

A) P(AB)=P(A) + P(B)= .01+.025=.035 After this is where I have trouble.
B) P(A and A")
C) P(A or A")
D) P (A' l A)
E) P (A l ???)
F) Once I get the top part I'll be able to answer this.

I'm trying to be a good student and get this done. I hate not knowing how to do problems and my teacher doesn't seem to explain them the way that I'm use to. Any help is greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time.

William

Last edited:
After reading the sticky about showing effort, I've already tried to do this problem. My values that I set up in the beginning are:

P(A)=.5
P(A')=.01
p(B)=.5
P(B')=.025

And then I use a second ' like A" to be the conforming probability like P(A)=.99
I've gone so far as denoting the random probability of a conforming and nonconforming P(C)=.965 P(C')=.035

I'm way lost so any insite no matter what would help me out. Thanks.

JohnM

TS Contributor
Will,

We have a post on Bayes Theorem/Contingency Tables in our Examples forum. The concept should parallel your problem. Try to use that, and if it still doesn't help, let us know.

John

For the most part I understand the marginal and conditional probabilites, but not quite sure how to equate "and" and "or" in an equation.

Doesn't seem to work for me

For some reason, the example bayes question is too basic. I understand that one completely but I can't relate the that question and mine together.

JohnM

TS Contributor
Will,

Please see the attached image file - I took the information given in the problem and converted it into numbers, using a population size of 10,000.

Now, following the logic in the Examples post, you can answer any question.....

a:it is a nonconforming bottle?
= # nonconforming/total (given in the problem statement)

b:it was filled on machine 1 and is a conforming bottle?
=P(M1 and C) = (# in machine 1 and conforming)/total

c:it was filled on machine 1 or is a conforming bottle?
=P(M1 or C) = P(M1) + P(C) - P(M1 and C)

d:Suppose you know that the bottle was produced on machine 1. What is the probability that it is nonconforming?
=P(NC|M1) = (# nonconforming and machine 1)/(total on machine 1)

e:Suppose you know that the bottle is nonconforming. What is the probability that it was produced on machine 1?
=P(M1|NC) = (# on machine 1 and nonconforming)/(total nonconforming)

Thank you JohnM for you time and patience. I assume that Bayesian statistics is fairly easy for you and this was just a tedious task. I appreciated your effort and feel that with your help I've gotten a firm grasp on this and each subsequent problem. Thanks again.

William

A: 350/10000=.035
B: 4900/10000=.49
C: (5000 + 9675 - 4900)/10000=9750
D: 100/5000=.02
E: 100/350=.2857