Anyone can help me with choosing classes?

I am a sophomore in UT Austin. Our university does not have statistics degree for undergrads so I am here for help :(

I am interested in applying for statistics grad school in the future, especially in OR, Machine Learning. This year I've taken probability.

Any courses may help me solid the base? Any more CS related courses should I take ? My enroll date is April 30th, plz help me asap )

I've attached the courses here, for any more descriptions, please click these links below :)

https://www.ma.utexas.edu/academics/courses/course-descriptions#upper-division-courses
https://stat.utexas.edu/undergraduate/courses-undergraduate

Attachments

hlsmith

Not a robit
I believe many stats programs requires between 2-3 semesters of calculus and 1-2 in linear algebra. If you want to be competitive, I would ensure you take the higher range of both of those and do well. As for other courses, are you hoping to apply ML to a certain field - if so I would keep that in mind for elective as well.

What is your degree going to be in then from UT?

OR = ? operational ??

I believe many stats programs requires between 2-3 semesters of calculus and 1-2 in linear algebra. If you want to be competitive, I would ensure you take the higher range of both of those and do well. As for other courses, are you hoping to apply ML to a certain field - if so I would keep that in mind for elective as well.

What is your degree going to be in then from UT?

OR = ? operational ??
I've finished all the calculus and linear algera here. Currently I am interested in ML so I hope to receive some advice about this area.
My degree would be BS Math.

hlsmith

Not a robit
OR = ?

So you took every course with linear algebra or matrix in it? I would take the applied regression courses and other applied courses, you would be surprised how many questions you can answer using regression and they are face value interpretable.

You should look to your school's graduate business department. I bet they are currently teaching entry level ML courses that you can currently take. You should also get some coding language courses under your belt.

OR = ?

So you took every course with linear algebra or matrix in it? I would take the applied regression courses and other applied courses, you would be surprised how many questions you can answer using regression and they are face value interpretable.

You should look to your school's graduate business department. I bet they are currently teaching entry level ML courses that you can currently take. You should also get some coding language courses under your belt.
OR means operation research.
I will check the regression courses here. I haven't taken any of them before )

hlsmith

Not a robit
Not sure if you have one, but I would also get a work-study job or internship in the field to help build CV and get actual hands on experience. Since real-life data is all ugly as hell.

I am no longer a student. But I do take random classes for fun every now and then.

ondansetron

TS Contributor
I would look into mathematical statistics coursework and a real analysis course which will help you more readily build on your stat knowledge because graduate stats programs will likely be more beneficial if you have prior work in math stat, probability and calc, linear algebra, and real analysis.