Appropriate Stats tests

Need help on what appropriate statistical test for data for my change research project if any required at all. My project was cut short due to shut down of my facility so I am only working with limited data:

# of patients prior to education that received the medication
# of patients post education that received medication

thanks for help

Its a change project: educated staff to see if they add Tylenol to pain regimen for patients after receiving education
comparing 3 months of Tylenol given pre-education- 50 cases no patients received tylenol
to how many patients received Tylenol post-education - 3o cases with 26 patients receiving Tylenol

cases Cut short by 6 weeks due facility closing due to COVID:(

Last edited:

obh

Is it the same staff pre-education and post-education?
Was it part of the training to add Tylenol to the pain regimen?

PS, I can assume that there would be some effect by the training, so you are more interested in the effect size.

PS, I can assume that there would be some effect by the training, so you are more interested in the effect size.

Yes, the training was a presentation on how adding Tylenol has reduced pain score in patients post surgery. Staff were given education on Tylenol administration and evidenced based research on its use. The data collected is the number of surgical cases that were given Tylenol after education in a 3 month period. but my numbers are low, not sure how to handle results.

Yes, the training was a presentation on how adding Tylenol has reduced pain score in patients post surgery. Staff were given education on Tylenol administration and evidenced based research on its use. The data collected is the number of surgical cases that were given Tylenol after education in a 3 month period. but my numbers are low, not sure how to handle results.
yes same staff

obh

Do you have also the data per staff? or only overall?
Do you know the numbers of patients that should get Tylenol? before and after? Say before 50 from 165 and after 26 from 40?
Then you could run 2 proportions test.

Last edited:
Do you have also the data per staff? or only overall?
Do you know the numbers of patients that should get Tylenol? before and after? Say before 50 from 165 and after 26 from 40?
Then you could run 2 proportions test.
All patients can receive tylenol it is up to staff to give it/offer it to them. For 3 months no patients were receiving Tylenol out of 50 cases. After staff were educated on Tylenol 26 out of 30 patients received Tylenol. Education given only once to staff.

If you want to test the impact of training of staff then two groups needed in this case

Tylenol with training given to staff
Tylenol without training given to staff

obh

Hi Engine,

Generally, you do the statistic test on a sample, to get a conclusion to the full population.
In your case, it seems that you don't really need a statistic test. Just present the results.
(unless you say that the 3 month period is a sample for the next 10 years, and the same for the before period, ...which is ....)

But if you want to run a test as a way to represent the obvious difference you may run 2 sample proportion test
http://www.statskingdom.com/121proportion_normal2.html

Cheers