Appropriate tests to use? ANOVA and Friedman two way ANOVAby ranks?

BOAZ

Hi there,

I am completely stumped on which tests to use for a study that I am working on. Basically, I have two groups, 1 & 2. The two groups are of different size and the samples are small (9 & 12). Participants in both groups have performed the same three tests, A, B & C in the one session. The tests are similar formats but differ in difficulty level. There are two things that I want to find out:

1) When 1 & 2 are pooled into one group (1+2) are the mean scores for A, B and C significicanlty different from each other. I believe that a one way anova with post hoc bonferoni tests is the best option here. Howwever, but I am not really testing three independent groups... just three sets of scores form the same group!

2. Are the mean scores for A, B & C significanlty different from each other within each group (1 & 2) and between the two test groups? Remember the groups are uneven in size. I am stumped on which non-parametric test to use here. Maybe a Friedman two way ANOVA by ranks?

Apologies if my suggestions above seem a bit misguided. Stats are not my strong suit.

Any suggestions welcome, as are any good links to how the data should be set up in SPSS.

Thanks, BOAZ

Karabiner

TS Contributor
1) When 1 & 2 are pooled into one group (1+2) are the mean scores for A, B and C significicanlty different from each other.
Repeated measures ANOVA or Friedman test.
Are the mean scores for A, B & C significanlty different from each other within each group (1 & 2)
2 Friedman tests, one for each group.
and between the two test groups?
Three U-tests for the comparison of the two groups with regard to A, B, and C, respectively.
Maybe a Friedman two way ANOVA by ranks?
There exists no Friedman two way ANOVA.

Regards

K.