Arch Challenge

bugman

Super Moderator
This is the first time I have heard of gparted.

Things are looking bad for me. This was 24 DAY chellenge wasn't it?

Things are looking bad for me. This was 24 DAY chellenge wasn't it?
LOL, I'm sure you can do it within 24 hours.

Stick to the beginners wiki, and keep us posted. If I am around I will help for as far as I can.
It wasn't easy, but it wasn't too complex either.. but that is only because of the Arch Wiki!

TE

bugman

Super Moderator
Granted, but I did say Friday and it has just turned Friday here...

First problem: ISO is not booting...

...re-writing at a slower speed.

"note to self: dont panic dont panic"

bugman

Super Moderator
Update:

>drive partioned
>Internet connection and wireless established
>language and local times set...
>base system installed...

Update:

>drive partioned
>Internet connection and wireless established
>language and local times set...
>base system installed...
Seems like you're getting there quick!
Now only video driver, sound, webcams and all that, the x-window system, DE.. and R of-course!

Good luck!

TE

bugman

Super Moderator
After installing bootloader and reboot all I get is the error "you need to load the kernel fisrt"

Anyone know how to remedy this? Or do i have to start over?

Did you assign the correct device names as boot drive?

Boot back with the live cd. Find the drive first with lsblk /dev/DRIVENAME usually sda or sdb. mount the drive and your home.
Change root back to your /mnt (the original installation) with chroot.

Now make sure you set the boot device to the correct drive with

Code:
grub-install --recheck /dev/DRIVENAME
And copy the grub.mo and continue as before.

I hope this helps!

Don't give up bugman!

[I really hope that your Arch installation progresses faster than that Deathstar in your avatar, it's been incomplete for years]

bugman

Super Moderator
I wont give up, but I have already gone over but 30 minutes and still can't get grub working. syslinux - I'll see how that goes.

And dont blame me for the death star - it was a bunch of lazy sub contrators who had issues with theier union over a minimum wage dispute. Still waiting for that one to clear over!

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I probably won't get around to it tonight but I got my old Gateway back up and running again so I think I'll convert it to an Arch box. Now I just need to decide on which DE I want to use...

I probably won't get around to it tonight but I got my old Gateway back up and running again so I think I'll convert it to an Arch box. Now I just need to decide on which DE I want to use...
With my Arch installation I had forced myself into a position with too little time to consider what I really wanted. Now I am going to roll-back gnome 3 and try one of these;;

They are all very minimalistic and powerful.

FVWM
Fluxbox (from Blackbox)
AfterStep

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I was thinking either fluxbox or xfce. With Arch I tend to prefer something a little more minimalistic so that it's possible to understand the framework. With something like gnome... that's just huge and I don't really understand what goes on with gnome...

It's a nice DE but if something were to break it would be tough to debug without outside help.

It's a nice DE but if something were to break it would be tough to debug without outside help.
I could have used this advice earlier ;)

I think I will go to FVWM, this because of some guides I found online;
http://zensites.net/fvwm/guide/global.html

It seems super customizable, having however a more complex setup though.

On the other-hand what I read about fluxbox seems great too, Its configuration would seem something I could grasp quickly and there are hundreds of Fluxbox "styles which would add some eye candy which... lets face it.. make for a better experience than the windows 95 type graphics some of these WMs have.

Which do you recommend?