Are there variations of the exponential distribution formula

I have been trying to solve the question below for over an hour. I even found the answer to a similar problem on a Web site, but I can't understand the formula they used. I thought that I would use the exponential formula P(X)=1-e^Lamda*X , but on the Web site they used this Formula with division PX>4.5 is e ^-4.5/3. Is this a permutation of the exponential formula?
What are the symbols for this formula? Thanks. There is no explanation given on the Web site where I found the answer.

The answer is .223

1.A catalog company that receives the majority of its orders by telephone conducted a study to determine how long customers were willing to wait on hold before ordering a product. The length of time was found to be a random variable best approximated by an exponential distribution with a mean equal to 3 minutes. What proportion of customers having to hold more than 4.5 minutes will hang up before placing an order?
Answer
Question 9 answers

Dragan

Super Moderator
I have been trying to solve the question below for over an hour. I even found the answer to a similar problem on a Web site, but I can't understand the formula they used. I thought that I would use the exponential formula P(X)=1-e^Lamda*X , but on the Web site they used this Formula with division PX>4.5 is e ^-4.5/3. Is this a permutation of the exponential formula?
What are the symbols for this formula? Thanks. There is no explanation given on the Web site where I found the answer.

The answer is .223

1.A catalog company that receives the majority of its orders by telephone conducted a study to determine how long customers were willing to wait on hold before ordering a product. The length of time was found to be a random variable best approximated by an exponential distribution with a mean equal to 3 minutes. What proportion of customers having to hold more than 4.5 minutes will hang up before placing an order?
Answer
Question 9 answers

The first formula you used is for:

Pr{X<x} = 1 - Exp[-Lambda*x]

But, you need Pr{X>x}. Thus, it is;

Pr{X>x} = 1 - (1 - Exp[-Lambda*x] = Exp[-Lambda*x].

with new formula can't get correct answer.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I am not a math expert and appreciate your time. I believe you are saying I need probability that is greater than not less than therefore the formula would be changed to
Pr of greater than = Exp[-Lambda*x]. (What does exp stand for "e"?)
with this formula: e^(-4.5*3) =.0000137 which is not the answer.

To me this formula looks the same as the original one just without the "1 minus" I am confused why there is no division.
To get the answer I divided which is not in the formula below: e ^-4.5/3.
Any clarification you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated

thank you,
Liz

Today 06:35 PM

Dragan

Super Moderator
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my query. I am not a math expert and appreciate your time. I believe you are saying I need probability that is greater than not less than therefore the formula would be changed to
Pr of greater than = Exp[-Lambda*x]. (What does exp stand for "e"?)
with this formula: e^(-4.5*3) =.0000137 which is not the answer.

To me this formula looks the same as the original one just without the "1 minus" I am confused why there is no division.
To get the answer I divided which is not in the formula below: e ^-4.5/3.
Any clarification you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated

thank you,
Liz

Today 06:35 PM

Yes "Exp [ * ]" implies e^( * ).

And, I am using the Reciprocal of the parameter 3....so Lambda is 1/3. And it's correct.:)

Look here at this link and see under "alternative parameterization"....I suspect this is your confusion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_distribution

Thank you very much again. I appreciate your time and recognize you are a math expert.
I am really trying to understand this. I did look on wikipedia as well, but I wasn't able to understand it .
However, I understand if Lamda is 1/3 then it would be 4.5 divided by 3 and the answer would work out. But I don't see where the formula-- Exp[-Lambda*x] ---states division or than lamda is 1 over the mean. How would I know that? Do you happen to have it written out more specifically so I can use it on my test when I have a question asking greater than for exponential distribution e.g. written so that it states division or than lamda is over 1.

Thank you very much,
Liz

BGM

TS Contributor
You are given "... with a mean equal to 3 minutes ..."
So f(x) = (1/3)e^(-x/3), x > 0

Because the fact is that
f(x) = λe^(-λx), x > 0, λ > 0 ⇒ E[X] = 1/λ
f(x) = (1/β)e^(-x/β), x > 0, β > 0 ⇒ E[X] = β

beta symbol?

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time. Unfortunately, I am not a math expert, so I am having a bit of trouble translating it into words. Could you kindly tell me what this symbol refers to β and if possible what is means. thank you

You are given "... with a mean equal to 3 minutes ..."
So f(x) = (1/3)e^(-x/3), x > 0

Because the fact is that
f(x) = λe^(-λx), x > 0, λ > 0 ⇒ E[X] = 1/λ
f(x) = (1/β)e^(-x/β), x > 0, β > 0 ⇒ E[X] = β

beta symbol?

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your time. Unfortunately, I am not a math expert, so I am having a bit of trouble translating it into words. Could you kindly tell me what this symbol refers to β and if possible what is means. thank you
I know this is quite an old thread but I just want to log in to say that I have the same misunderstanding as you.
The point is: lamda = 1/mean.
You are given "a mean equal to 3 minutes" while the formula is P(X>x) = e^(-lamda*x).
Cheers!