Average Houly

Hello,
Let say i am recording every work day the incoming orders at each hour from 6 a.m to 10 p.m. My goal is to calculate the hourly average.
I can create a summary table for the entire data with to columns , first called hour , where will be time in hour from 6 a.m to 10 p.m(there are 17 different time points) and second column with count order for each hour.
My goal is to calculate the hourly average.
I would appreciate any idea suggested.
Thanks.

obh

First, what is the goal of your calculation?

I would draw a histogram and probably calculate the average per hour.
I would also compare the days. I assume the first working day and the last working day won't have the same distribution as the other days.

The goal is to see hourly averages and according to these avg values they can decide how many people need to cover each given hour ,of course in average.

obh

Okay, so please check what I wrote before.

Calculating only based on the average may not be good enough.
You may calculate also the standard deviation and calculate the relevant percentile, for example, if you want to be able to handle 90% of the cases you should take the 0.9 percentile, not the average.

PS, do you need to handle the orders at an hourly level? or will a daily level be sufficient?

I just wanted to sse hourly avg to decide hourly peaks and according to these values to decide how many people are needed to cover at given hour.
Thanks for helping.

Ya got 16 intervals from 6 am to 10 pm. in a column.
Put the "incoming order" count in each column; 1 row per interval, 1 column per day, for many days.

Sum the average counts per interval.
" My goal is to calculate the hourly average"
Goal achieved.

Now, if you want a staffing model, peopleonduty/interval, we can do that.