badges

ted00

I swear I looked
If it's under my nose somewhere, I apologize

But where can I find info on these "badges", for lack of a better word, under our names in posts -- member, gold member, veteran, m.v.c., others?

What are they? How are they assigned? By what criteria? Is there some documentation about it (couldn't find in the FAQ)

Thanks!!

bugman

Super Moderator
I had a look ted, but i think its a bit of a black box.

I think the transition from member to gold member to veteran are increments of 50-100 posts (or something like that).

Contributors will often nominate other members for contributor status at 300 posts if they are active and helpful to the forum.

Super moderators are (correct me if i am wrong quark) selected based on geographic regions to help comabat spammers across all time zones. I think myself and cowyboybear, for example, are the southern hemisphere combators, while dason, the ecologist and others deal with spamming scum in the north.

Sorry that I can put precise numbers on it, but I hope it helps.

ted00

bugman, thank you very much. that makes it more clear to me.

What does "m.v.c." stand for? I infer it's something to do with moderator. Also, are those the only levels: member, gold member, veteran, m.v.c.? And then underneath those there might be global mod, administrator.

thanks so much

bugman

Super Moderator
MVC = Most valuable contributor
And yes, as far as I know, those are the only "badges" (I think veteran might be 150 posts, judging by yours).

Quark is the administrator BTW.

Trinker is a raptor.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Super moderators are (correct me if i am wrong quark) selected based on geographic regions to help comabat spammers across all time zones.
I don't think there is such a thing as a super moderator unless you mean Dason:) Moderators are not picked based on geographic area as far as I know nor based on their in depth knowledge of statistics (or obviously I would not be one). They are picked, or at least I was, to deal with spam and help out with administrative issues like double posts etc. Having the time to do so is a key qualification (it might be the only one in my case). :p

Are raptor badges splattered with blood? :(

Moderators are not picked based on geographic area as far as I know nor based on their in depth knowledge of statistics (or obviously I would not be one).

That is because you weren't around long enough to know this. Bugman is correct. The original mods were indeed picked from different time zones so we would have a mod who would be naturally active - in theory - during all hours of the day.

We never realized our auto-mod script DasonBot.101 (Umbrella corp TM) would become self-aware, and start loving dogs... nobody could have predicted that cause it's hard to predict things (especially about the future).

noetsi

Fortran must die
A good thing the DasonBot.101 was so interested in dogs he neglected to destroy humans as seems painfully common in AI when they become selfaware...

noetsi

Fortran must die
I wonder how many people decided to never visit TS again because they thought we were all insane.
Concerns with lack of sanity is unlikely to deter people from reading a statistical blog IMHO. If you worry about such things you don't go very far into statistics to start with....

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Super moderators are (correct me if i am wrong quark) selected based on geographic regions to help comabat spammers across all time zones.
Do they have real super powers? "Absorbs and metabolizes solar energy from local stars" or so?

noetsi

Fortran must die
Do they have real super powers? "Absorbs and metabolizes solar energy from local stars" or so?
Yeah posters that annoy the heck out of spunky don't the moderators. The posters just say thank you to the moderators and stop asking anoying questions...

I was here just a week when the last explosion of spam stoped. Scurilous suggestions that I started the spam to become a moderator are just that....:mad:

bugman

Super Moderator
I Moderators are not picked based on geographic area as far as I know nor based on their in depth knowledge of statistics (or obviously I would not be one). They are picked, or at least I was, to deal with spam and help out with administrative issues like double posts etc.
:(
Yes, that is true. But because spam never sleeps, it pays to have representatives from all time zones (and hence this depends on geographic location). Quark asked me to be a mod because I am in the SH.

Doesnt make sense to only have one or two, unless you are trying to tell me Dason lives in various tiome zones / continents at the same time.

### NOTE - posted after seeing TE's response.