Basic stats homework question (urgent)

Hi folks.

Here's my question: Does the proportion of students who are men exercise a different amount per week than the proportion of students who are women?

I have this really large excel file. The first column is m or f (male or female) and is completely random. The second column are the hours of exercise per week for that individual. I've added up the sum of the hours for male students and it was 1007 hours. I counted the number of male students as well, and found that to be 187. I did the same for the female students, and found the total number of hours of working out per week for them to be 1796. There were 277 female students total.

I suppose this is where I'm confused. I've stated my null hypothesis as p1 = p2 and my alternative hypothesis as p1 /= p2. I'm not sure what formula to use in order to calculate my test statistic though. Also, for calculating the critical value (or cut-off value, or whatever it's called), what would my degrees of freedom be? Sorry for the long post guys, I'm just simply lost. Appreciate any help.

Hello,

It looks like you want to compare the mean hours of exercise per week for men with the mean hours of exercise per week for women. So H0: mu_men = mu_women against Ha: mu_men /= mu_women. You can use a two sample t test for that (assuming the assumptions hold). For a brief overview of assumptions and test statistic, see here http://www.statkat.com/stattest.php?t=9&t2=10 .