Book club

spunky

King of all Drama
Could we like do Skype sessions and Google hangouts to discuss the articles? Or would this be mostly thread-and-writing stuff only?

(sorry, I'm a fast reader but a slow typist and sometimes feel brownbags/seminars/article discussions work better when you're actually talking to people)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It could be interesting. Finding a time that works for everybody interested might be a challenge depending on who all wants in and what availability is but I guess we could give it a shot at least once. If only to force spunky to attempt to cook spaghetti instead of discussing the article.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Doesn't slack have a video feature? (though, that may be for paid teams). Can we upload audio files? Could give verbal replies that way then. Coordination is going to be the hard part since I'd only have a small window of time I could dedicate to it.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It does have video calling but only on Mac and Windows (so those using their phones as their primary slack device wouldn't be able to). I'm not sure if group video calls are supported.

Edit: Looks like on free plans you can only do direct video calls - so no group video chats.

spunky

King of all Drama
We could upload it to YouTube! And give ourselves a dorky name like "The Jolly Data Analysis Channel" or "The Super Duper Cool Team"

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
Possible article to review, listed below. It was made available ahead-of-print this week and has not been formatted yet. The article is on Mendelian Randomization (MR) and how close it can adequately serve as a proxy to a randomized clinical trial, which for some instead of clinical trials you all may use A/B testing or natural experiments. I haven't read the article yet, but will probably later today.

It may be beneficial to all based on its review of logic in trying to establish causal/strong associations between exposures and outcomes. I also don't think the article is too technical or jargon heavy.

So my general description of a MR study, it is a study design approach where nature randomizes people to treatment/exposure group and uses that as an instrument. So a basic example is lactose intolerance, lets say it is random, so if you wanted to study the effects of lactose consumption on obesity or heart disease, people in the lactose intolerant group will not consume it, so they are unexposed - but may land in any setting as those having comparable background characteristic (covariate balance). Will see about putting content on Slack, which I have only gotten onto once.

Epidemiology. 2017 Jun 5. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000699. [Epub ahead of print]
Nature as a trialist? Deconstructing the analogy between Mendelian Randomization and randomized trials.

Swanson SA1, Tiemeier H, Ikram MA, Hernán MA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...Mendelian+Randomization+and+randomized+trials.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Since Slack is threaded, I think an easy way to manage this club is to simply make a channel for the club. Initial post can share the article. Everyone who wants to join the discussion on that article can participate in a thread off of it. Some will get attention, others will get none. We'll see where our interests end up!