But I don't want a "read only" file! SPSS 13.0 Student

I don't use this program often enough to understand it. I saved a data file I was working on some time ago. It is in "My Documents" because files saved in the SPSS list are "Read Only" I guess.
I'm making changes and like to save as I go along. A box appears saying it is "read only" and I must save it under another name. I don't care to do that every time I save changes.
Can't find answer in Tutorial or Help. How can I make life easier? Put the file somewhere else?
Hopeless!

JohnM

TS Contributor
Try closing SPSS, then go to Windows Explorer and locate the folder in which the file is saved. Right-click on the file, and select "Properties" from the list that pops up. Toward the bottom of the Properties Window, un-check the "Read-Only" box.

JohnM

TS Contributor
After making changes to it, save it under a different file name, then try saving changes one more time to that file. It may just be a problem with the file itself - they can get "corrupted" from time to time....

I'm starting over (sob!). I just hope it will let me make changes the next time I open this one.
There was a storm recently and my computer was shut down then. Or maybe it was evil spirits, bad fairies, etc.
:(