Calculating Odds Ratios

Would someone be able to help me figure out how to calculate the remaining odd's ratios in the table below? I am not able to reproduce the odd's ratios that have already been calculated either...really stuck!

Screen Shot 2020-11-03 at 3.27.02 PM.png

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
OK, I am gonna make you work a little here and not spoon feed you.

So question #1, how can you get an OR of 1.0? How is that possible? Once you figure that out, you should be good to go.

Speak up, if you can't figure it out after a little effort!

hlsmith

How do you get a ratio of 1, do the math!

Same number on top and bottom!
8/34 / 8/34

If you cant figure it out after this I'll tell you how to do it. Hint: Exclusive breastfeeding is always the reference group! Thus the denominator is always 8/34!

Ah, okay so if exclusive breastfeeding is the reference group to which all the other groups (exposures) are compared, the missing ORs would be 3.9 (i.e. odds of case associated with mixed feeding is approx. 4 times higher than exclusive breastfeeding) and 14.45. Thanks a bunch for your help, kind internet stranger!!

IMG_9466.jpg

hlsmith

No problem. I remember having to do these for school. The reference group was the tricky part. Another tricky one you may come across if continuing in th is area are additive and multiplicative effects.

feel free to post more questions in the future and welcome to the forum!