Calculating trend in death-rate by using Negative binomial regression model.

Hi All,

I am very new to SAS. My question might sound silly but I m trying to put in the best possible way. I am re-creating a table (attached here) from one of the research paper. I was wondering what are the variable that I need to take into account to calculate the trend in annual death rate by using a negative binomial regression model. I am just trying to get the total non-firearm death that has been highlighted.

Also, is there any SAS code that can create a trend rate?

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
I will likely not have time to really help you, but I would like to if I had more time. Things that will help the readers of this post: Link to original paper, where it may elucidate models used. Also, do you have the actual dataset that they used or are you trying to recreate it?

Thanks hlsmith. Actually, that was a pretty helpful tip. As I am new to the system, I was confused on how to put the question so that people understand. If anyone can help me with it, I would really be really thankful.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.hoplofobia.info/wp-conte...d-Intentional-Firearm-Deaths-in-Australia.pdf

The recreated dataset of the paper is attached. I am trying to reproduce table 3 total non-firearm death (highlighted number) using negative binomial regression.

Thanks.

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
I would be interested in helping you - since I typically use SAS, though I am fairly busy right now.

Update this post as you make progress and if I get some free time next week I will see what I can contribute.

I have not had data that requireD the use of the Negbin model but below is the basic code:

Code:
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]  
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][COLOR=navy][FONT=Courier New]proc [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=navy][FONT=Courier New]genmod [/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New]data[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]=er_cult;[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New]class[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New] time_period;[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New]model[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New] Number_of_Antibiotic_Allergies = time_period / [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New]dist[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]=negbin [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New]link[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]=log;[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][COLOR=navy][FONT=Courier New]run[/FONT][/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New];[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/SIZE][/FONT]