Can I calculate variance based on these descriptive statistics?

Mir

Hi everyone! I am currently revising for a statistics exam and am struggling with one particular practice question. I have attached a screenshot of the info that was provided.

The practice exam question is as follows:

Which of the following cannot be determined from the table of descriptive statistics in the block introduction:
- variance
- number of observations
- range
- IQR (interquartile range)

Our teacher told us that IQR is the correct answer. I initially thought that we could calculate the IQR by using the data in the graph. But I now understand that the data in the graph does not constitute descriptive statistics.

My question is, however, how can I calculate the variance based on the descriptive statistics only (so without using the data in the graph)? I can only seem to find examples of how to calculate this by using the data set.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mir

Attachments

Last edited:

Mir

I would calculate the mean of the data set, then for each number in the data set I subtract the mean and square the result, then I calculate the mean of those squared differences, and finally I take the square root of that.

My question is if the variance can be calculated based only on the following data: sample size, minimum, maximum, mean and standard deviation. However, based on your question I am worried this is a silly question. If so, please excuse my ignorance, I am a stats beginner.

In my stats book it says: "The variance is calculated as the average squared deviation of each number from the mean of a data set." I therefore didn't think it was possible without using the data set, which is the question asked in the practice exam.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Compare how you calculate variance with how you calculate standard deviation. Is there a relationship?