Career Advice for the Military Spouse

Hi guys, I recently received my Masters in Statistics! I got married to a military guy while I was finishing up. There are not as many statistics opportunities at this post as I had hoped. I was wondering if getting a telecommuting job straight out of college was even possible. I have been scouring the web and it seems like most employers hire telecommuters after they have some experience under their belt even if it is only 1 year. Is there a way around that? My husband and I live pretty comfortable at the moment so I could even work for no pay. Anyone have any ideas?
Also if there are things that I should be doing to look for local jobs please let me know. Military life is difficult and I just need a little help!

Thank you all!
StatKat

Mean Joe

TS Contributor
I have been scouring the web and it seems like most employers hire telecommuters after they have some experience under their belt even if it is only 1 year. Is there a way around that?
I was not really aware of this. I wish I could telecommute. I'll give up my wish for a flying car.

It sounds like they want someone who knows how to work unsupervised. Do you have some proof that you can, like you took an online course maybe?

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
What is a telecommuter?

You all near a VAMC, they have jobs. Look at USA.gov for jobs if you have not done so already.

noetsi

Fortran must die
When you are newly graduated a lack of experience is an issue what ever field you are in. And until you have a reputation, for example you are a consultant, your probably aren't going to have an easy time doing something over the internet which I assume telecomuting means in this case.

I think the idea of looking at USA jobs is a good one [this is the organiztion that hires most federal positions]. Most of these opportunities are going to be in DC however. One piece of wisdom I have heard is that any experience is a good thing. It is possible that the HR or other personnel on your base might know of volunteer work in statistics you can use to get this experience.

The military loves numbers more than virtually any organization in the US. But I don't know if they allow members not in the miltary to every do this analysis. And security clearances might be an issue.