Career Path

Hey guys... I could use a suggestion or two for the next stage of my career.

I completed B.S. in Applied Mathematics from Rutgers in 2009 and started working in Quality for manufacturing companies. I knew it would be tough to change fields once I start working but I had no choice due to loans. Now, It is giving me tough times getting a job related to my education background. As I mentioned in my introduction thread, my interest towards Statistics is growing really fast. I started learning SAS/R and started reading some general materials.

Anyhow, I started applying for jobs in Statistics but haven't had any luck. I understand, I have no experience. Do you have any recommendation on where should I specially look? I am ready to start at zero. I am located in NJ but open to relocate anywhere in US.

Any help would be appreciated it. Thanks.

hlsmith

Not a robit
USAjobs.gov usually has some statistician postings, at least in the past they did. They usually look for SAS experience, so that may help. However, the buraucratic tape can get pretty thick. Other options may be looking at universities. Any particular field that you may be interested in (e.g., finance, medicine, actuary, etc.)?

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I can tell you right now that a lot of utility companies are lacking in people with statistical and programming backgrounds to help them do analytics, and the way energy is being managed in the future will be highly data driven. I've had a hard time trying to find a career with only a BS in applied mathematics and statistics, but I was lucky to land my internship with a utility that should blossom into a great career. I love my job and the work I do everyday! We're in the works of developing an analytics group and we listen to a lot of webinars and stuff on the topic, both in and out of energy. A lot of them are in the works of developing such teams. So, keep an eye out with companies like that. Look for student internships (take classes if you have to!).

Also, health industry is usually looking for data people. That industry has a LOT of data. Usually a background in databases helps, though.

USAjobs.gov usually has some statistician postings, at least in the past they did. They usually look for SAS experience, so that may help. However, the buraucratic tape can get pretty thick. Other options may be looking at universities. Any particular field that you may be interested in (e.g., finance, medicine, actuary, etc.)?
I have eyes open on the USAJobs site. I do have interest in insurance industry (actuary) but again, I'm lacking without experience here. Its strange but I do like all the industry you listed above. My friends are finance majors so we are always discussing about the market. I've worked in Pharmaceuticals industry doing Annual Product Review so it will never go away from me. I may sound desperate but I'm applying my luck everywhere and anywhere to catch any position.

I can tell you right now that a lot of utility companies are lacking in people with statistical and programming backgrounds to help them do analytics, and the way energy is being managed in the future will be highly data driven. I've had a hard time trying to find a career with only a BS in applied mathematics and statistics, but I was lucky to land my internship with a utility that should blossom into a great career. I love my job and the work I do everyday! We're in the works of developing an analytics group and we listen to a lot of webinars and stuff on the topic, both in and out of energy. A lot of them are in the works of developing such teams. So, keep an eye out with companies like that. Look for student internships (take classes if you have to!).

Also, health industry is usually looking for data people. That industry has a LOT of data. Usually a background in databases helps, though.
Good to know... Never came across any utility companies or even thought about it... Would you please post here, (or message me) if you happen to see an opening or an intern? Thanks in advance.