Chi Square, Likert Scale, and Within Group - reasoning

I am hoping some really smart folks can answer this question for me and provide some sage and learned advice to help me finish the last piece of my PhD dissertation research.

Background: I have completed a data study, using a Likert Scale (1-5), on importance of an element within an industrial field>

Example Questions:
On a scale of 1 - 5, (1 = Most important, 5 = Least important) rate the following elements of Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities of this 'topic' that should be a vital element for job competency within the Human Resources field.

Example Answers:

Benefits - rating of 3
Compensation - rating of 5
Employment Law - rating of 4

There were 89 'topics' to rate, and they were rated by a Delphi panel of 15 members. The results were rated answers for the level of importance of each KSA within a job title's responsibilities. So the quantitative measurement was to get a rating of importance from the (one set) of group.

My statistical analyst who helped me crunch the numbers, after research, determined that a Chi Square measurement would be best since the measurement was to be within one group (there was no control or comparative group).

What I am struggling with is describing what the purpose of using the Chi Square for the Likert Scale is - I know that Chi Square is a good measurement within a group, but I need some words to describe why this was the best measurement for the Likert Scale within my research study. (While I have the mean, mode, and standard deviation, it am not quite as smart about how to explain statistics to put it into words.)

Can anyone assist me in using the right words to explain to my committee why this measurement is best used for my study?

Thanks!

Dawn D. Boyer
iqhope@aol.com
dboye003@odu.edu