chi square test of randomness

hi

say i have a spatial distribution of frequency count for 9 categories like this

3, 4, 9
4, 1, 3
2, 6, 5

How do i test whether this distribution is random using chi sq? (no other information is given)

here's what I did. I define freq count, then the observed value is how many times in this distribution the freq count occurs. For example, freq count 9 occurs 1 time, so the observe value is 1.

Freq count 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
observed value 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1
Expected value ?

How do i find the expected value in this case? Is this the correct way to test?
In this case, the degree of freedom is 10-1 = 9 right?

BGM

TS Contributor
The "expected value" depends on the null hypothesis you want to test. If "the distribution is random" means that it is a discrete uniform distribution among those categories, then the expected counts will be like the total frequencies divided by the total number of categories.

The "expected value" depends on the null hypothesis you want to test. If "the distribution is random" means that it is a discrete uniform distribution among those categories, then the expected counts will be like the total frequencies divided by the total number of categories.
i will try and see if i can get the answer.
thanks very much.

hi, is this correct? because I don't have freq count 0, 7 and 8, so should i leave them out of the table? so my no. of categories is 7 instead of 10
thanks

BGM

TS Contributor
Sorry what I mean "total frequencies" is just the sum of the observed frequencies, which is 9 in your problem.