choosing the right test

Hello

I'm hoping someone can help me choosing the right test. I have 11 male samples and 11 female samples and I need to compare those against 2 fix values one for male and one for female. Any help would be awesome. Cheers

I'll try this question again.. I would like to find the appropriate parametric test for comparing my first group (which includes 11 blood samples for males and for females) against 2 fix values ei 2mg/ml for females and a 10mg/ml for males.

I have spend hoursssss in the SPSS tried every possible way for the independent t-test, ANOVA but it is not working. I Am I overthinking it? should I just be comparing the means. Any clues would help Thank you.

obh

comparing my first group (which includes 11 blood samples for males and for females) against 2 fix values ei 2mg/ml for females and a 10mg/ml for males.

should I just be comparing the means. Any clues would help Thank you.
Hi Yennj,

First, you need to start from the beginning, you need to define what do you want to check.
The statistics is only a tool, it doesn't determine the question...you should do.

It sounds like a classic one-sample t-test, two separate tests, not a comine one ... (if meet the test assumptions)

So for females:
H0: Mean= 10mg/ml
H1: Mean!=10mg/ml

and a similar test for males:
H0: Mean= 2mg/ml
H1: Mean!=2mg/ml

I showed the two-tailed assumptions, but one tail or two depending on the question.

You can look at the following example and find later how to do the same with SPSS
http://www.statskingdom.com/130MeanT1.html