Come Take a Walk With Me

so hedgie, tell us more about your workouts.

i have had an awful injury (non-running related) so i have not been able to do anything significant for over a week, which is HORRIBLE.

i think i'm close to being all healed up. i need to get a wrap or something so that i can run again. i hate this!
Sorry to hear about the injury...hope your back up and running again!

My workouts are nothing special. I am running barefoot or in five fingers at long slow paces staying in my aerobic heart rate range. The goal is to lower my times while staying in the aerobic HR zone. I have no idea how good that is or not I just read the article I linked by former iron man winner about him running the same speeds in his aerobic zone and I read some stuff by Phil Maffetone about it and decided to give it a shot. I have a heart condition so I cannot do many exercises so the aerobic zone made sense for me. I used to swim and bike as well and am going to work that back into the rotation.

It's brutally slow and very hot here so I mostly do it on a treadmill watching lectures so I really don't notice I'm running and get to learn! If anyone has advice that'd be great.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
And here I planned on only doing a mile since my right knee is still a little swollen from the box (plyometric) jumps I did in my last HIIT routine. Also, I haven't eaten anything in several hours, so I'm starving! That limited my weight training, though. I actually felt okay for the first mile. I had to stay focused the 2nd half, and really stay mentally strong to finish the last 5 minutes. It was 6.0 mph from start to finish (no warm up). I am impressed with it. Solid consistent run, and I don't feel too bad.

440.5 + 2 = 442.5 miles

PT: 36 miles

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
My workouts are nothing special. I am running barefoot or in five fingers at long slow paces staying in my aerobic heart rate range. The goal is to lower my times while staying in the aerobic HR zone. I have no idea how good that is or not I just read the article I linked by former iron man winner about him running the same speeds in his aerobic zone and I read some stuff by Phil Maffetone about it and decided to give it a shot. I have a heart condition so I cannot do many exercises so the aerobic zone made sense for me. I used to swim and bike as well and am going to work that back into the rotation.
Don't be afraid to step up your training and do some intervals or something. A good high intensity work out once a week will make a big difference if you want to lower your times. When I trained for a marathon, our class would do one (really) long and slow run and one high intensity (interval training) run a week. We did our own thing outside of that. It was the speed training that really helped me progress and be able to handle fatigue a lot better, because that's what that sort of training prepares you for. You're not really going to build your tolerance to that sort of fatigue if you don't face it, and your muscles aren't going to be pushed that extra mile to work at a higher intensity (but at an aerobic level) if you don't train to work at that intensity under fatigue. Make sense? I'm not saying you have to get crazy, but have fun with it. There's fartlek training, which is basically random "run really hard for some amount of time/distance at whatever moments you feel like it" while keeping a steady pace in between. Or you can be structured (I'm more this route unless I'm out on a trail with random points in the distance to cue my fartlek intervals) and try something like one lap fast one lap easy (on a track), then next week do two laps fast and two laps easy. Then two laps fast and one lap easy. And so on. The key is have fun.

pt442.5 +3 = 445.5
pt: 132
Thanks bryangoodrich ill look into what I can and can't do in was hoping to drop my aerobic pace then add anaerobic training f I am allowed.

Last edited:

vinux

Dark Knight
Nice to see mileage of the club.

I am suffering jaundice now. It started with a viral fever around three weeks before. After a terrible(I was unable to eat for few days) week it is identified as Hep A and dengue. Now my health is improving. I hope after two weeks I could start my jogging.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Ouch vinux. That sucks! Get well soon.

My knee started hurting, so I stopped at 15 min instead of the 20 min I was hoping to hit. Was doing well until about 11 minutes in before fatigue started hitting me and my cadence started dropping. A good measure is to count one-foot counts for 30 seconds and multiply by 4. I want 170-180 bpm, so I should have 42-45 one-foot steps in 30 seconds. If I want to be very general I can count 15 seconds and I'd need about 22-22 steps. I'll try to do another 15 minute run tomorrow or Saturday.

445.5 + 1.5 = 447 miles

PT: 37.5 miles

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Nice. I need to focus on my step. When I was more cognizant a couple weeks ago I was focusing on striking at the instep (along my big toe). I haven't been as focused on that and my ankles are getting a little sore from the volume of running I've done this week. I'll probably do another mile tonight and focus on that step (and no heel strike!) taking it nice and slow (6.0 mph). Tomorrow I'll do a HIIT routine.

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I decided to take yesterday off. I could use the break, and my foot is getting sore from this higher volume of running. I think I'll take the mileage down next week and do more biking and stairs and maybe try track running next weekend.

448 + 1 = 449 miles

PT: 39.5 miles

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Ugh. I did a half mile as part of my warm up before I did a HIIT routine so painful I'm too tired to explain it; let's just say there was a lot of jumping and leg stuff. Then when I was walking to the sauna I saw this cute chick on the treadmill, so I thought what the hell. Ironically, she jumps off just as I'm getting on, so I suffered another half mile just for the pain of it. Now I'm so exhausted the fried fish my roommate cooked just smells disgusting to me! I just want water and sleep now!!

454 + 1 = 455 miles

PT: 40.5 miles

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Nice story lol That's one of the perks of working out at a gym :D Unfortunately, I'm also one of the guys that'll come out of the sauna (right next to a row of treadmills) and hang out w/o a shirt. Not what the ladies ask for ^_^

My right knee is starting to tense up after this run. I've been under sleeping, stressed to the point of tears, but still trying to get my workouts in. Still haven't lost any weight, though. Go figure. Today's run I wanted to step it up. I could have done a 20 min 2 miles at 6.0 mph. Instead, I started at 6.0 and went up 0.1 every minute to 7.0 for 10-11. Then i went down 0.1 every minute, except I had to stop and take a break twice. At that point I was "overheating" like my car did yesterday (part of the stress)! I did a 9:10 pace for that 2 miles but still ran for 20 total. Walked 5 to cool down, then did some ad/abductor workouts before I quit (also strained the knee).

460 + 2 = 462 miles

PT: 42.5 miles

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Wasn't really planning on running at all, but I'm monitoring my weekly totals, so a half didn't seem too bad. Except I did it at 7.5 mph (8 min pace)! I did elliptical for 5, quickly to work on my turn over (cadence) and finished with 10 minutes of biking. The adductor/abductor workout I mentioned yesterday is with me today! My butt feels solid, but sore! lol I need to do that more often ^_^

462 + 0.5 = 462.5 miles

PT: 43 miles