Comparing unique items on a Likert scale

Hello everybody. I conducted a survey using 3 measures (two IVs and a DV), all Likert. I found that nobody scored highly in the DV (which was burnout), so there's probably a bias of not wanting to admit to 'bad' things!
I would like to see if certain items on the DV have more of a 'skew' where people are more likely to respond in a certain way. How can I check this?

I would just do a linear regression with the two IV:s as independent variables (explanatory variables) and the DV as a dependent variable. This would investigate if there is a shift in the mean of the dependent variabel when one IV changes. A lot of people in published papers do it this way.

But this is controversial. Some people say that the Likert scale is just an ordinal variable and not a ratio scale so that it is incorrect to do a regression on that. But my view is that it is OK.

I would just do a linear regression with the two IV:s as independent variables (explanatory variables) and the DV as a dependent variable. This would investigate if there is a shift in the mean of the dependent variabel when one IV changes. A lot of people in published papers do it this way.

But this is controversial. Some people say that the Likert scale is just an ordinal variable and not a ratio scale so that it is incorrect to do a regression on that. But my view is that it is OK.
Thank you very much for your reply. My study involved regression analysis anyway. But I would still like to look at individual items and see if any have a greater likelihood of having a “not bad” response. Do you know how this could be done?

I found that nobody scored highly in the DV (which was burnout), so there's probably a bias of not wanting to admit to 'bad' things!
Please note that in statistics "bias" means parameter estimate minus populations value. (bias = sample mean - population mean). So "bias" means systematic error.

(I am not English or American. What "bias" means in the every day English language I don't know. For me "bias" is a statistical or mathematical concept.) (It might surprice you that not everybody is American.)

If you have a sample of people, you must believe that they are a representative sample of the population, and that they response as the population would do (with a sampling error and all that).

But your measurement variable does not have to correspond to an underlying latent "true" feeling of burn out.

Please note that in statistics "bias" means parameter estimate minus populations value. (bias = sample mean - population mean). So "bias" means systematic error.

(I am not English or American. What "bias" means in the every day English language I don't know. For me "bias" is a statistical or mathematical concept.) (It might surprice you that not everybody is American.)

If you have a sample of people, you must believe that they are a representative sample of the population, and that they response as the population would do (with a sampling error and all that).

But your measurement variable does not have to correspond to an underlying latent "true" feeling of burn out.
By bias I meant response bias, specifically social desirability bias. Apologies for not being specific. I am quite aware that not everyone is an American, thank you. I myself am not an American either, nor is English my mother tongue. I don’t see why your comment was necessary.

Thank you for your initial help followed by your condescending response.

Last edited:

ondansetron

TS Contributor
By bias I meant response bias, specifically social desirability bias. Apologies for not being specific. I am quite aware that not everyone is an American, thank you. I myself am not an American either, nor is English my mother tongue. I don’t see why your comment was necessary.

Thank you for your initial help followed by your condescending response.
:eek:

Don't be too sensitive. You're asking for help, @GretaGarbo wasn't inappropriate to note the distinction.

:eek:

Don't be too sensitive. You're asking for help, @GretaGarbo wasn't inappropriate to note the distinction.
For which I was grateful and said thank you for. However, while I fully understand the point that was made and should have specified in the first place, I do not see the need for the sarcastic comment. It’s possible to raise a point without it. For what it’s worth, I do think this forum is fantastic.

ondansetron

TS Contributor
For which I was grateful and said thank you for. However, while I fully understand the point that was made and should have specified in the first place, I do not see the need for the sarcastic comment. It’s possible to raise a point without it. For what it’s worth, I do think this forum is fantastic.
I think we'll just have to write it off as miscommunication because I don't see a sarcastic comment. Text isn't a good medium to convey attitude and intentions.