Comparison at the 90th percentile

I have been asked to create a report "Comparing my company with other companies with specific measures." I have a list of the specific measures, I have my company's performance on those measures, and I have a aggregate performance of all other companies on these same measures, for the same period.

Can I create a meaningful comparison "at the 90th percentile" with just this information? The maximum value is 1.0 and the minimum value is 0.0.

Erenagh,

You can compute and compare the 90th percentiles. Scatterplots or boxplots of the data may be more informative.

:welcome:

JohnM

TS Contributor
Erenagh said:
I have been asked to create a report "Comparing my company with other companies with specific measures." I have a list of the specific measures, I have my company's performance on those measures, and I have a aggregate performance of all other companies on these same measures, for the same period.

Can I create a meaningful comparison "at the 90th percentile" with just this information? The maximum value is 1.0 and the minimum value is 0.0.

Erenagh,

When you say "aggregate" performance, do you mean that you have the mean and standard deviation of all the other companies combined, on the specific performance measures?

If so, you could see where your company is on a percentile basis - i.e., "given the mean and standard deviation, and assuming a normal distribution" you could construct statements such as "My company would be in the 80th percentile on this measure."

JohnM