Confidence interval

Suzy

John,
Thanks for defining (interpreting) confidence intervals in language that I can understand! I am using a textbook that is really confusing to me. I have a question. If the 99% confidence interval for a population is between two numbers (such as .30 and .40), is it possible to find the value of x-bar? There's not enough information here, right? x-bar wouldn't be .35, is that correct?
Thanks.
-Suzy

JohnM

TS Contributor
If the confidence interval is for the population mean, then it's pretty safe to assume that the distribution of the sample means will be normal (or approaching normal as n increases), and so therefore the confidence interval is symmetric around x-bar.

So x-bar would be .35

Suzy

Confidence interval-Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply. Now I'm trying to figure another problem. I read your formula to calculate confidence intervals, and I almost have this one solved. But how do I find the Z Score?
Here's the problem:
A student would like to find out the average time per week that freshman at her college spend watching TV. She collects info from a random sample of 50 freshman. The data reveals that those 50 students on an average watch 25 hours of TV per week and the standard deviation of the data was 3 hours. Find the 90% confidence interval for the mean time per week that freshman at that college spend watching TV.
This is how I've done so far:
25 +/- [Z*3/SQRT(50)]. But now I don't know how to find the value of Z. Sorry for the stupid question.
Thanks.
-S

JohnM

TS Contributor
Using the normal distribution tables, find the Z score that divides the "middle" 90% of the curve from the "outer" 10%.

It should be 1.645.