correcting with poisson regression

Hi everyone,

I'm new to stats and I was wondering if anyone had any good resources that could explain to me:

How one can correct their data (false-positives) using poisson-regression. I've been looking for some resources to explain it simply and give a step by step (in r ) but I've had trouble. I have no idea what to do or where to begin and I feel so lost.

The reason I ask is because I was trying to reproduce the following:

"We perform our analysis at a region level, where all region pairs are separated by more than 17.4 mm, which based on simulations (not shown), leads to negligible bias due to distance-related false positive connections. We also employ a Poisson regression-based statistical adjustment that yields measures of SC adjusted for the physical distances between region locations. Specifically, we apply a model that assumes that the number of DTT streams Sij connecting regions i and j follows a Poisson distribution with the mean μ(Sij|gij) dependent on the physical distance gij between these regions, i.e. Sij|gij~Poi(μ(Sij|gij)). Therefore, we estimate and subsequently adjust for the association between the physical distances and the DTT counts using the effect α1 in the log-linear model log(μ(Sij|gij))=α0+α1gij Henceforth, assume that each πij is adjusted for physical (geometric) distance to reduce the potential impact of false structural connections on our awFC method."
source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22634220

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.