Correlation between dichotomous and ordinal variables

ldwg

Hi everyone,

I am very thankful for your feedback on my eventually simple question: I want to calculate the correlation between a dichotomous independent variable and a ordinal dependent variable. What coefficient fits my needs?

Here is an example of my items:

Code:
1) Do you work in a team
   [ ] yes     [ ] no

2) How satisfied are you with your job?
   very unsatisfied  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  [ ]  very satisfied

I assume the first variable is dichotomous/nominal and the second one is ordinal, right? Tied ranks will occur, right? Is Somas' d a good option? Preferably, I'll work with SPSS.

Thanks so much in advance!
ldwg

Last edited:

ldwg

Let me rephrase my question: What coefficient is appropriate to measure an association between an dichotomous and an ordinal variable?
Anyone? Thanks very much. Ldwg

ldwg

Hi all,

I still would be thankful for any advice.
How about point-biserial correlation. Would that be an option? Or is Kedalls-Tau-b an apropriate option, even though one item is dichotomous?

Thank you in advance,
Ldwg

ldwg

How about the Mann–Whitney U test. Might that test be applicable?
Still thankful for feedback
Ldwg

Reference: Howell, D. C. (2006). Statistical Methods for Psychology (7th ed.). Wadsworth Publishing.

CB

Super Moderator
I assume the first variable is dichotomous/nominal and the second one is ordinal, right?
This would be the conventional way to describe these variables, yes.

Is Somas' d a good option?
Do you mean Somer's d? I don't know much about this coefficient, but I believe it's used when both variables are ordinal.

How about point-biserial correlation. Would that be an option? Or is Kedalls-Tau-b an apropriate option, even though one item is dichotomous?
A point-biserial correlation is used when one variable is continuous and the other is dichotomous; Kendall's tau when both are ordinal. Neither is particularly well-suited to the problem.

How about the Mann–Whitney U test. Might that test be applicable?
This would be the most conventional way to go, I think. Note that you'd be rephrasing your question as being about differences between the groups formed by the nominal variable as opposed to being about a correlation.

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
i'd do a polychoric correlation here... i know, i know the definition says when both are polytumous ordinal variables but the polychoric correlation works for any n X m matrices, including the special case of 2 x 2 matrices (the polychoric infinite series looks the same as the tetrachoric series in that case)... in yours you have a... what? 2 (yes/no) X 7(very unsatisfied...satisfied) matrix so... i dunno, my 2 cents would be to use a polychoric correlation.

ldwg

Thanks for all the feedback. My ordinal data is far from normally distributed. As far as I have read, somers' d seems quite a good choice. What do you say?

spunky

Doesn't actually exist
As far as I have read, somers' d seems quite a good choice.
Uhm... I dont think so. please, allow me to quote Somers himself (the guy who invtented it) in the paper where he developed this statistic (citation woud be: Somers, R. H. (1962). A new asymmetric measure of association for ordinal variables. American Sociological Review, 27, 799-811.

with regards to his Somers D, he said: "It should be emphasized that the remarks contained in this paper relate specifically to ordered contingency tables, meaning that both variables have a natural ordering (i.e.,
are ordinal variables) like "status," "education," "degree of agreement," etc. They do not apply in situations where one or both variables are nominal, i.e., without a natural ordering."

sadly you fall on the first situation he mentiosn since your question about teams cannot be meaningfully ordered...

CB

Super Moderator
My ordinal data is far from normally distributed.
It's difficult to imagine a situation in which ordinal data would be normally distributed. Luckily, normal distributed data isn't an assumption of any of the tests mentioned in this thread.