Corrrelation problems

kasy

Hello, I had a problem determining the type of test for my survey which the research is about the relation between video games addiction and physical functioning. I understand that we need to use pearson or pearman for our test. The problem is how do I can identify a suitable test for the video games addiction variable and physical functioning. For the game addiction scale, it has 7 DV and for physical functioning it has10 DV.

Karabiner

TS Contributor
Is it not possible to aggregate the 7 addiction measurement, or the 10 physical functioning measurements, respectively,
into just 1 total value?

With kind regards

Karabiner

kasy

It is possible. What would you suggest to identify a relationship with two items with many variables? So we can just use Pearson's to confirm their relation?

Last edited:

Karabiner

TS Contributor
You can aggregate the items and thereby create 2 variables, and then you can use Pearson or Spearman to
analyse the relationship between the two aggregate variables.

But I do not know anything about your items, your variables, research questons, study design, sample size
etc. so it is just a guess.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Hello, I have a probably very easy question.
I calculated Spearman's correlation for several different combination of variables. In some cases, the correlation is low, for example 0.20 (which would mean that variables are not correlated), but the sig. is lower than 0,05 (which would mean that correlation is significant). If H0 is "there is no correlation", while H1 is "there is correlation between variables", how should I interpret results. If I look Sig. I would need to reject H0 and conclude that there is correlation between variables, but if I look at the Spearman's coefficient the conclusion should be that there is no correlation. At the same time, I have a case (different sample - not the same as in my first example) where correlation is 0,40, but sig. is higher than 0,05. Is that mean that I should accept H0 (there is no correlation), even if the correlation is 0,40?

Karabiner

TS Contributor
You should maybe consult some introductory texts about significance
testing, especially about the relationship between sample data and inferences
made with respect to the population from which the samples were collected.

With kind regards

Karabiner

Last edited: