Dason's Introduction

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hi,

I'm not really a new member but I never got to fill one of these out. I am Dason and I'm a graduate student in statistics at Iowa State University (go Cyclones!). Currently I'm an RA working with microarray and RNA-seq data. I'm also teaching a mainly online course although we meet four times in person over the summer. I'm in the PhD program and will hopefully get the masters at the beginning of the fall. Eventually I'd like to be a professor at a teaching university but right after graduation I'll probably take whatever job I can get.

I'm an avid user of R but every now and then you can find me tinkering with SAS to get some stuff done. If you post in the R/Splus section more than likely I'll chime in with something to say. I've also been known to program in C, python, Java, Lolcode and Bash. I prefer Linux (Ubuntu or Arch depending on the day... and I guess Red Hat enterprise if we count the university servers) but have been known to work with Windows and OSX from time to time.

I am happily married for... 3 months now and looking forward to the future. We have one dog (a beagle) and are hoping to have a kid sometime in the not too distant future. To kill time I like to play guitar, play soccer, and go on runs. That is when I'm not wasting time here or over at the xkcd forums.

I've programmed a minesweeper clone in R just for the heck of it and am planning on turning that into a part of an R package which has the goal to provide a suite of games for the R environment. TheEcologist is planning on making a battleship clone at some point and if anybody else wants to help with that project we'd love all the help we can get.

A few topics that interest me: kernel smoothing, generalized linear models, gene expression data, and bayesian methods.

If you have any questions ask away!

vinux

Dark Knight
Nice intro Dason. I really appreciate your commitment towards statistics( I guess you even responded the talkstats queries on your marriage day :) ).

I had initially planned to work something in Bayesian. Planned to use Bayesian after my research program. The stat literature is very vast after 90's. But lot of scope in the applied area.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Nice intro Dason. I really appreciate your commitment towards statistics( I guess you even responded the talkstats queries on your marriage day :) ).
Did I? I don't remember that.

Actually now that you mention it I think I logged on while we finished getting our tuxes on and had a little time just hanging out in our hotel room... I needed something else to think about for a little while...