Data integration or Business analytics

Hi all,

I have learned Base SAS and currently learning BI course from SAS authorized center (soon also learn macro & advanced sas). I have a confusion about learning Business analytics or data integration courses.

I am computer science graduate, I am working as MIS /Business analyst with a bank. Every day I do VBA coding as part of my job.

I find both business analytics and data integration curious on syllabus but I need to choose one. pls let me know how is job opportunities for both courses?

Thanks

Abhijeet

I have been working for Aureus Analytics for nearly 5 years. According to my knowledge Data Integration is the combination of technical and business processes. It combines discovery, cleansing, monitoring, transforming and delivery of data from combination of sources.

Business Analytics is used by firm committed to data-driven decision making.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Depends on your goals.

Business analyst work will lead toward project management, analysis, and management positions that ultimately can pay very well but be less technical (programmatically). If you like running projects, working with clients, and doing analyses, I'd suggest going that route.

I lean toward data integration (data engineering), which is typically a pretty secure job skill in IT, being required for anything data: data warehousing, business intelligence, security, master data management, etc. I think this would have a higher starting salary, but unless you move to management positions, it probably won't pay as much as working on the business side, but that's company dependent (our IT pays very, very well).

So to me it comes down: business or IT? If you want to walk the line, you can consider being a data scientist. Learn some big data and NoSQL technologies and skills. A data scientist tends to work in both areas like business intelligence folks (though they tend to be analyst vs developers). The difference is data scientist either tend to be technical (big data algorithm engineering) or business (data-driven methodologies applied to business problems and delivery). Again, this also depends on the business: are they already data-centric, do they have big data implementations, do they tend to invest heavily in their IT workforce or outsource their skill gaps? Do they already utilize their data analysts for driving business decisions? The answer to those questions will really shape how your experience in these roles would play out in such a firm.