Dependent vs. Independent Variables?

noetsi

Fortran must die
I think you're wrong. Let's simplify.

If I said "does being in category A lead to an increase in the rate of B" would you consider A or B to be the dependent variable? I hope you say B. Now compare that to the original post.
I could be wrong.

I did actually find, after much digging, a research article which demonstrated that having Congestive Heart Failure is a high risk factor for getting a Nosocomial Infection.

Yes, lol, you were! I don’t get to know how others faired that may have chosen opposite dependent variables than I did, because it’s an on-line course, with minimal instructor or peer interaction, unfortunately. Thanks again

noetsi

Fortran must die
I think the lesson in such a class is the professor is only going to make it so complicated. Which is why the suggestion I made actually worked. Its possible as was mentioned you could have dual relationships where both caused each other. But that is not commonly used, it won't work in a regression model. You would need something like structural equation models.

ondansetron

TS Contributor
It’s a Nursing Research course, not a Stats course.
Yet posted on a stat forum with "stats" in the user ID... :p

PICOT question: Do more Congestive Heart Failure patients get more Nosocomial Infections than other Cardiac patients on a Cardiac Unit?
Which of those three variables would be Dependent, vs. Independent?
Thanks!
For the record, this is a poorly written question. If it only said "Do CHF patients get more nosocomial infections than other cards patients in the cardiac unit?" this would be more clear. I also only see two variables in the problem, not three; cardiac condition (CHF vs other) and infection status, but maybe I'm missing something?