Detrending data

noetsi

Fortran must die
I am confused what is occurring here.

We can remove the trend component in two easy steps. First, identify the overall trend by using the linear model function, lm

. The model should use the time series index for the x variable and the time series data for the y variable:

m <- lm(coredata(ts) ~ index(ts))

what is the index. The first time point is 1, the second time point is 2 etc?

Second, remove the linear trend from the original data by subtracting the straight line found by
lm

This is easy because we have access to the linear model’s residuals , which are defined by the difference between the original data and the fitted line:

where

r

i

is the

i

th residual and where

β

and

β

are the model’s slope and intercept, respectively.

We can extract the residuals from the linear model by using the

resid function and then embed the residuals inside a

zoo object:

>

detr <- zoo(resid(m), index(ts))

I don't understand what is occurring in the second step.

https://www.academia.edu/34707463/Detrending_a_Time_Series_Data

Elsewhere it is suggested you subtract a regression line created by regressing the time series on X and then subtracting this from the time series. I think this would give you the residuals, do you then use the residuals as the detrended time series? If you want to use this to predict future values, I assume you have to convert the residuals back after you use them to predict.

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Your question isn't formatted very well. Are you asking what the line
Code:
is doing?

hlsmith

Not a robit
Beyond your above gobbledygook, detrending is usually achieved by differencing. If a transformation is need due to say nonconstant variance, do that prior to differencing since many transformations dont like zeros or very small values.

noetsi

Fortran must die
Your question isn't formatted very well. Are you asking what the line
Code:
is doing?
I copied and pasted it and it was difficult to do Dason. I am asking what that is doing, more generally if what they are suggesting is regressing time on an index where one is the first period 2 is the second period etc, and then subtracting the resulting regression line from the time series data. I think this would generate the residuals of the regression.

Hlsmith what you said is always what I have read until today. But it turns out this is not universally accepted (Tsay for instance disagreed). I can send you some links if you want to see this. What I posted is one alternative to differencing. This thread contains others ... You probably can guess who I am in the conversation :) Note that I think the above is for deterministic trends which differencing never addresses, but even for stochastic trends there are disagreements on differencing.

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/405539/stochastic-versus-deterministic-time-series

noetsi

Fortran must die
That is what I thought to. But it appears that is no longer best practice. The link I posted above goes into that in some detail.