Do you use R in power BI?

I’m doing some work in power BI and I noticed that it has an option to use R scripts.

What would be a reason that someone would use R in power BI? I.e, what type of things or visualizations can R do that power BI can’t do at the moment?

hlsmith

Omega Contributor
No idea what 'power BI' is in particular, but R has over 10,000 packages, so I could imagine 'power BI' covers a small component of what R has to offer. Also if 'power BI' is a commercial software, it likely does not get updated as fast as R packages, since they don't have to wait to be industry vetted and released via an update or maintenance package.

For example, I use SAS for many core analytics, but it does not have LASSO logistic regression for the binomial distribution, so I perform that along with correction for possible false discovery related to the model building process in R. I can think of countless procedures that are available in R, but not say SAS or STATA, etc. without using tedious macros.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
PowerBI was used at my old job. If I recall correctly histograms aren't even supported out of the box and you need to download a custom module for that. So doing something like a faceted histogram - pretty much out of the question. We wanted to do that though so I wrote some R to bring that fairly basic functionality into PowerBI. In another case we wanted to fit some logistic regressions and visualize those. I had to write some R code to do that in PowerBI. PowerBI is really nice for some things but sorely lacking in other areas. R can help fill in those gaps if you know what you're doing.