equal sample sizes required for Kruskal-Wallis?

Why in R does it require equal samples sizes for the Kruskal-Wallis and Wilcoxon tests??

If calculating by hand, then m and n (levels of each sample) can have different values, at least according to textbook critical Values for the Mann–Whitney (Wilcoxon) Statistic.

The other thing that is really confusing me is how R calculates df for each of these tests. I mean, for e.g., if m = 10 and n = 10, then shouldn't df = m-1 +n-1 ? Yet if I run a Kruskal-wallis test it says df = 3 :confused:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It doesn't? I'm thinking you have some syntax wrong. Would you mind posting your code so we can see what the actual problem is?

Here is the syntax:

kruskal.test(X, C)

Where X is a sample of ordinal data (n=10); and C is a second sample of ordinal data (n = 7).

The outcome is:

Error in kruskal.test.default(X, C) :
'x' and 'g' must have the same length

Alternatively, if I run the same test on two equally sized ordinal datasets (n=10 for both) I get:

kruskal.test(X, Y)

Kruskal-Wallis rank sum test

data: X and Y
Kruskal-Wallis chi-squared = 2.305, df = 3, p-value = 0.5116

And here we see this df=3 I was referring to earlier. Is this right?
Seems strange to me....I thought if using a chi-square table, then df = k-1, which in this example would be 2-1 = 1 ?

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Yup. You've got the syntax wrong. You should give the help page a gander. Just type "?kruskal.test".

The problem is that the first vector needs to be all of your data and the second vector is a way to identify which group it's in. You could fix this pretty easily with something like:
Code:
dat <- c(X,C)
nam <- c(rep(1,length(X)),rep(2,length(C)))
kruskal.test(dat,nam)
Another way would be to give them more descriptive names and use a formula in the test call instead:
Code:
dat <- c(X,C)
nam <- c(rep("X", length(X)), rep("C", length(C)))
j <- data.frame(data = dat, names = nam)
kruskal.test(data~names, data = j)
I kind of like the second way a little more because you can examine "j" and make sure everything is the way it should be a little bit easier.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Alternatively, if I run the same test on two equally sized ordinal datasets (n=10 for both) I get:

kruskal.test(X, Y)

Kruskal-Wallis rank sum test

data: X and Y
Kruskal-Wallis chi-squared = 2.305, df = 3, p-value = 0.5116

And here we see this df=3 I was referring to earlier. Is this right?
Seems strange to me....I thought if using a chi-square table, then df = k-1, which in this example would be 2-1 = 1 ?
Yes, this is why it's important to know the syntax of the function you're using. In this case if you just let it slide you would be getting a completely meaningless test. It would have taken the values in Y as identifiers and used those to group the data in X and apparently there are only 4 distinct values in Y so it was just doing a 4 way test to see if those groups are significantly different.

Ahh, silly me - it expected factor groupings for the second vector; this all which makes perfect sense now :)

I guess my syntax with the wilcoxon test was also wrong because it complained about needing X and Y to be of equal length at one point- although I cannot recall the exact syntax I used now :confused:

The other thing is, in terms of df for the two-sample wilcoxon test is there a way to display this?

Thanks for your help btw :)