Estimating a distribution question

udt1

Hi,

I have information on the first, third, and fourth quartile of a distribution, and a sample that consists of about 20% of a total population. I am looking for a way to infer the likely distribution of the entire population. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

udt1

mp83

TS Contributor
First of all you should plot your data.Tehn see if a known pdf is likely to fit them.If then you should use the quantile matching method. MAthch the theoretical quantiles to the sample's quantiles.

If you cannot find a candidate distribution then things are tougher.

udt1

Hi,

Thank you for your response. The data more or less fit a normal distribution, truncated on one side due to a limit in the maximum value.

I imagine that the quantile matching method must involve shifting the data and/or filling in hypothetical data points to fit the distribution? Is there software available to do this?

Thanks again.

mp83

TS Contributor
I think R has function(s) on quantiles estimation on its base installation (?quantile)

But for a truncuated distribution I think you'll have an issue coz that's not astandard procedure.Anyway try it and then let the topic know what happened