estimation parameters using maximum likelihood

Hi everyone!

I‘m trying to estimate the parameters of a simple model, but I keep getting the same error message: „could not calculate numerical derivatives missing values encountered, flat or discontinuous region encountered“

program define logit_error1
*** args lnf q alpha beta mu
*** replace `lnf' = (1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu'-ln(exp((1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu')+exp((`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu')) if chooseup==1
*** replace `lnf' = (`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu'-ln(exp((1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu')+exp((`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu')) if chooseup==0***
end

ml model lf logit_error1 (chooseup) (q: op_out_up) (alpha:) (beta:) (mu:)*
ml max

I simplified my program as much as possible to make it a bit more accessible. For your understanding: chooseup is my dependent binary variable, q is a probability 0≤q≤1. alpha, beta and mu are the parameters of interest.

Also, I tried to avoid singularities by excluding q=1, q=1, mu≤0, but that didn‘t really change anything...

Thanke you all in advance!
thafox

Please try below:

capture program drop logit_error1
args lnf q alpha beta mu
replace `lnf' = -(1-`q')*(2-`beta')-ln(exp(-(1-`q')*(2-`beta'))+exp(-(`q')*(1-`alpha'))) if chooseup==1
replace `lnf' = -(`q')*(1-`alpha')-ln(exp(-(1-`q')*(2-`beta'))+exp(-(`q')*(1-`alpha'))) if chooseup==0
end

ml model lf logit_error1 (q: op_out_up) (alpha:) (beta:)

Note that `alpha', `beta' and `mu' are redundant. There are infinite combinations of them to make the same `inf'. I replace `mu' by a minus sign in the expression.

Hi everyone!

I‘m trying to estimate the parameters of a simple model, but I keep getting the same error message: „could not calculate numerical derivatives missing values encountered, flat or discontinuous region encountered“

*** args lnf q alpha beta mu
*** replace `lnf' = (1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu'-ln(exp((1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu')+exp((`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu')) if chooseup==1
*** replace `lnf' = (`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu'-ln(exp((1-`q')*(2-`beta')/`mu')+exp((`q')*(1-`alpha')/`mu')) if chooseup==0***
end

ml model lf logit_error1 (chooseup) (q: op_out_up) (alpha:) (beta:) (mu:)*
ml max

I simplified my program as much as possible to make it a bit more accessible. For your understanding: chooseup is my dependent binary variable, q is a probability 0≤q≤1. alpha, beta and mu are the parameters of interest.

Also, I tried to avoid singularities by excluding q=1, q=1, mu≤0, but that didn‘t really change anything...

Thanke you all in advance!
thafox