Experiment With Fictitious Data

After a semester full of open-note/curve graded exams and very few homework assignments, our stats professor decided that our final project would weigh heavily on our term grade...and since we only have the weekend to complete it and haven't actually learned anything in class...none of us know where to even begin. Any help is appreciated and if you happen to have a PayPal, I will gladly compensate anyone who can help us achieve a passing score on this project!

Here is the prompt we were given:

Suppose you are hired as a research psychologist by a dental products firm. Outline an experiment in which you are trying to provide supporting evidence that brushing with the BEST toothpaste results in fewer cavities. Be sure to describe who your research participants will be and how you will assign them to different conditions or groups. Identify your independent and dependent variables, state the appropriate hypotheses. In line with your dependent variable create a fictitious data set. Conduct a thorough analysis on your obtained data using the appropriate statistic for your design and discuss your obtained results. Exceptional projects will utilize statistical software to analyze collected data.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Hi! :welcome: We are glad that you posted here! This looks like a homework question though. Our homework help policy can be found here. We mainly just want to see what you have tried so far and that you have put some effort into the problem. I would also suggest checking out this thread for some guidelines on smart posting behavior that can help you get answers that are better much more quickly.

What we have tried is reading our texts to figure out where to start. Our class is a dozen people (down from over twice that at the start of the semester), four of us are here and none of us have learned ANYTHING in this course.

"Tell us what you have done so far" - As aforementioned, we have all gone back through our text and our notes, all the way back to the first day of class. The way she has done things in class and the examples she's provided do not, at all, help with setting up this type of experiment. We can't exactly help ourselves when our professor has given us very little to go with.

We have given our best guesses and are now stuck on what the dependent variable should be. (Group with fewer cavities or number of cavities) and whether the study should be between or within groups and how THAT should be done. (Mind you, we are learning all of this via the text as we go, so it's all new.)

I've told you what we've done and asked specific questions with what we believe are the correct things to do, included. Yes, I looked at the links, and that's basically all they asked for.

Cee1

[ .

Hello! I am currently working on this now, and I literally have no idea what I'm doing! Can you please give me some direction!.
QUOTE=Cassiology;146551]After a semester full of open-note/curve graded exams and very few homework assignments, our stats professor decided that our final project would weigh heavily on our term grade...and since we only have the weekend to complete it and haven't actually learned anything in class...none of us know where to even begin. Any help is appreciated and if you happen to have a PayPal, I will gladly compensate anyone who can help us achieve a passing score on this project!

Here is the prompt we were given:

Suppose you are hired as a research psychologist by a dental products firm. Outline an experiment in which you are trying to provide supporting evidence that brushing with the BEST toothpaste results in fewer cavities. Be sure to describe who your research participants will be and how you will assign them to different conditions or groups. Identify your independent and dependent variables, state the appropriate hypotheses. In line with your dependent variable create a fictitious data set. Conduct a thorough analysis on your obtained data using the appropriate statistic for your design and discuss your obtained results. Exceptional projects will utilize statistical software to analyze collected data.[/QUOTE]