Extrapolation - Getting info of a population from a sample

Hello,

I'm working on a problem where I have 30% of a full dataset and I have to estimate the generalization error.
To be more precise, let's say I have the information of the transactions of the clients of a bank which has 30% of the countries market.
I can easily get the mean, standard deviation and so on of my dataset but I can't figure out how to extrapolate.

I know all about basic statistics and so I went through all my lectures to try to find the answer.
I would like to calculate the sampling error of my dataset.

To explain clearly:

population: the information of all transactions in a certain country.
mean : m (unknown)
standard deviation: sigma (unknown)

my dataset : the information of the transactions of the clients of 1 bank owning 30% of the countries market. (so 30% of the whole big dataset)
mean : m* (known)
standard deviation : s (known)

The problem is that in all the examples I see, the formulas all include the standard deviation of the population, which i don't have.

I used this formula:
m=[m* ± 1.96*sigma/√(n)] n being the size of my sample
They use "sigma" which I don't know.

The second part would be to get the variance (or standard deviation) error but i'm not there yet.

Any help would be apreciated,
Thank you
Nicolas

Ok, thank you! So you use the fact that sigma=s*√(n/(n-1) ?

Otherwise would you have any leads to find the standard deviation error or do I stick with the formula I just wrote?

Ok, thank you! So you use the fact that sigma=s*√(n/(n-1) ?
No.
(I dont know what you mean by "sigma=s*√(n/(n-1)" )

Sigma is the standard deviation in the population.
s is the standard deviation in the sample.

s is an estimate of sigma.

The standard error is s/√(n). That gives the "uncertainty" in the sample mean.

Example:

The population mean of males (in my country) is 180 cm with a standard deviation sigma of 7 cm.

If we randomly select n=100 males and and get a sample mean of 181 cm, then how "uncertain" is that?

the standar error will be s/√(n) = 7/√(100) = 7/10 = 0.7

the t value with 99 degrees of freedom will be 1.984217 (You can get that from a table. I got it from the software R.)

So the uncertainty will be t*s/√(n) = 1.984217*0.7 = 1.388952

So the "uncertainty" in the sample mean of 181 is +/- 1.388952
So the 95% confidence interval is [179.611 ; 182.389]

I hope this helps. :)

Your example totally illustrates my problem.
You say that the mean of the population is 180 cm and it's standard deviation sigma=7cm.
then you take a sample and use s/√(n) to calculate the standard error. But why do you say s=7? Why would the estimate of sigma be directly equal to sigma?

In any case thank you for your help.

But why do you say s=7? Why would the estimate of sigma be directly equal to sigma?
No, I should have made an example with say s=6.5. That would have been a better example. Of course sigma is (in general) not known.

If sigma happened to be known (maybe from a large population study or many other similar studies) then we would use 1.96*sigma/√(n)