Finding a value to show there's significant differnece between two population means

I'm working with two data sets and want to compare the difference of means between two particular rankings between two different years. My boss wants me to find a number to prove there is significant difference between these means. I am wondering if there is a statistics equation to find this number?
I've already found the standard error and suggested we use that range to prove there is a difference but he insists that there is a way to find another number to represent "significant difference".
I understand this seems very vague, I'm not a stats major (though I have talked with one and they are also not too sure what my boss is looking for!)

Thanks for any advice!

gianmarco

TS Contributor
Re: Finding a value to show there's significant differnece between two population mea

I assume that your samples are independent. There are two ways to test the difference:
a) parametric test: t-test
b) non parametric: Mann-Withney test

The choice depends on some features of your data (e.g. normal or non-normal distributed).
There are many earlier threads on these tests, so you could try and search on your own.

Hope this helps
Regards
Gm