Fleeting/Random Thoughts

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
It would be really nice if this genechip data would just succumb to RMA normalization. Instead it's refusing to admit that there are multiple probes for each gene. So I ask it... "if you're not doing anything with the probes... HOW ARE YOU DOING RMA NORMALIZATION and WHY DID IT TAKE AN HOUR AND A HALF TO PROCESS?!?"

... maybe we should make a thread for ranting...

trinker

ggplot2orBust
So I've switched gears into the world of purely manual labor as I remodel my attic. Running isn't happening. I haven't read a book and barely have answered any questions in days. I just got a bunch of books in from inter library loan on stats and R including what appears interesting judging from the first few pages: Statistical rules of Thumb by Gerald van Belle as well as Phil Spector's Data Manipulation with R and Frank Harrell's Regression modeling strategies. They sit there on the couch mocking me as I go to mix up more spackle. I feel like this is the project that will never end. I take that back. I'm at the point where the job is no longer fun and seems like it won't end. Next week is vacation and hopefully those lonely books will get used. On the plus side I'm about 2 1/2 weeks from completing Insanity.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
I haven't used C in so long that I can't even do the most basic thing by memory at this moment... time to dig through a few of my old files to remember some of the syntax...

Also - hot **** we're being spammed quite a bit lately.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
While performing surgery on one of my laptops (the screen was wobbly and it was to the point where I was afraid it would snap off at some point...) I successfully made the screen less wobbly... but I also happened to kill the computer. Then I spent a little while performing necromancy and successfully got it up and running again! I had accidentally snapped a wire while moving things around to get to a screw I needed to tighten to fix the screen so once I figured that out I just needed to fix that wire.

Now that I got that all worked out I think I'll try out a new operating system - I thought I had basically lost the computer so I'll celebrate the fact that it isn't dead by nerding it up for a while :)

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Dason said:
Now that I got that all worked out I think I'll try out a new operating system - I thought I had basically lost the computer so I'll celebrate the fact that it isn't dead by nerding it up for a while
Why is it that most statisticians on here are also programmers? Is that part of stats programs or just a geeky thing statsticians like to do on the side (as if being a statistician wasn't geeky enough)?

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Programming itself has sort of become a necessary skill for most statisticians. However, unwinding by installing a new OS isn't necessarily a typical thing (at least not in my department) so don't think that I'm a very good representation of all statisticians in terms of interest in computers...

Also - that was the first time I had ever really spent anytime trying to fix the hardware of any of my computers. I've never really had to deal with hardware so I'm happy I was able to get everything working at the end of it all. I only even attempted to fix the screen because I didn't care too much if the laptop didn't work after I was done with it (but was at least hoping it would work) - it's somewhat old and we have other working laptops at my house.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Things are getting heavy for me as I start a new job, begin classes again and finish up a remodeling project. I'm guessing its that way for everyone right now. I know in a few weeks we'll all settle in and get back into the swing of things again. Good luck to everyone starting classes again.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
This thread hasn't seen much action since the implementation of the chatbox. But I thought I'd point out that I changed my avatar to a classy dog and I am now actively informing people that I am not a velociraptor. I am quite suspicious of some of the rest of you... why haven't you come out and said that you aren't a raptor? Are you trying to hide your true form!?

... I think I really just need to go to bed.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
TheEcologists you actually put work into this. We've all get entirely too much time on our hands or are poor managers of what time we've got. As me I'm the later of the two.

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
:( My computer is definitely give some warning signs that the hard drive is going to fail soon. Good thing I keep diligent backups. But still... sadness. This is the same computer I accidentally killed and then brought back to life.

Although I wonder if I hinted hard enough this could be a good thing come Christmas time...

bugman

Super Moderator
:( My computer is definitely give some warning signs that the hard drive is going to fail soon.
Mine too. It started as soon as I installed th ubuntu 11.10 update. Some are having similar issues, which points towards a bug. I have backed up daily since and I half heartedly hope that its real so i can get a shiny new one!

:( My computer is definitely give some warning signs that the hard drive is going to fail soon. Good thing I keep diligent backups. But still... sadness. This is the same computer I accidentally killed and then brought back to life.

Although I wonder if I hinted hard enough this could be a good thing come Christmas time...
Clicking sounds?

My hard drives (2 x 500 GB) are standard combined to one single drive through RAID. There was little support for such a setup in Linux (6 months ago) so I decided to disable it and make two separate drives. Once a did this I also started hearing clicking sounds [incorrectly unloading of the heads in idle mode I believe] - worried out of my mind I searched for a solution and found this great resource.

Turned out that partitioning my drives into 4 x 250 solved the problem. I hope this guide can help you too (and I guess I hope it does not help you bugman so you get your shiny new drive :p ).