Free Beer! (The beer thread)

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Here is your free beer: http://www.talkstats.com/showthread.php/22925-Beer

Seriously though - next round is on you for falling for that.

Anybody have any good recommendations? What's your favorite beer? Are there any that you absolutely despise?

I personally can't drink cheap domestic beer anymore - I just can't stand it (except for a PBR every now and then. I know it's swill but it brings back memories...). Are there any other beer snobs here?

bugman

Super Moderator
American Pale Ale
Indian Pale Ale
Guinness
Czech Pils

I brew a bit too. A mate at work made an American Pale Ale, and that was one of the best drops ever.

bugman

Super Moderator
Trinker, will you ever learn? This is Dason we are talking about here. He has a picture of a dog with a monocle as his avatar and he has to specify union with the human race in his tag. Need I say more? And a pipe and a hat...

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
American Pale Ale
Indian Pale Ale
Guinness
Czech Pils

I brew a bit too. A mate at work made an American Pale Ale, and that was one of the best drops ever.

It seems appropriate that I end my silence on this forum in a topic on beer!

I love the IPA's, cant really get em here though.. but my favorite beers are all Belgian beers;

(these are not ranked)

Rochefort
La Chouffe
Chimay (reserve & bleue)
Orval (this one is my current favorite)
St. Bernardus abt 1
Delirium Tremens
Kwak
Lambic

and I cant really remember any others right now..

Cheers!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I like hef, but I also like Mexican imports. Modelo Negro is fantastic. I've grown a taste for Guinness that I never thought I would, and recently I had a Red Stripe that I couldn't stand before. It was actually pleasant.

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Here's my favorite (not filtered so if you dislike sediment this ain't for you):

I'm with BG Guinness (speaking of which the book "In Search of God and Guinness" was pretty good), Murphy's, and who can forget Red Stripe. I'm with Dason on the no Domestics unless it's a micro brew. If I drink cheap it's Labatte's Blue which is Domestic though it's a Canadian brew but their head quarters are in Buffalo. I take that domestic only micro brew back as I like most Sam Adam's line except cherry wheat which tastes like cool aid.

This all reminds me how cool the dos equis website is: http://dosequis.com/

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Oh I forgot about Sam Adams. I do enjoy Sam Adams - I guess I don't typically lump it in with the other domestic macros when I think of "macro brew".

As far as Red Stripe goes - I vaguely recall having one a few years ago and not enjoying it (I think I actually thought it was bad). I didn't have as much of a taste for beer back then though. Should I give it another shot?

Trinker, will you ever learn? This is Dason we are talking about here. He has a picture of a dog with a monocle as his avatar and he has to specify union with the human race in his tag. Need I say more? And a pipe and a hat...
Yes - that dog is classy. Clearly I am trustworthy due to my avatar :D

Big Brewery beer in North America is generally lousy. I avoid it as much as possible. But there are nonetheless some fantastic small breweries in the the US and Canada and I recommend you check them out.

First choice: find a local or nearby mircorbrewery and sample their product. Generally, it is excellent, shipping has a low carbon footprint, and often you will get organic product.

If you can tolerate shipping from Quebec, I love the Unibroue line. Their ales--Blanche de Chambly, Noir de Chambly and Blonde de Chambly are all fantastic. They have a line of fortified (high alcohol) beers that are also highly recommended: Le Fin du Monde, Trois Pistoles and Maudite are all excellent.

But really, unless you really are in the middle of nowhere, there should be a high quality local product to scope out.

John

Last edited:

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Dason, I used to think Red Stripe was disgusting, but I had it a couple weekends ago, and I thought it was pretty **** smooth! I have to be picky about my beers because I can't burp. For obvious reasons, I typically don't drink more than 2 beers lol

Oh, I also like Pyramid and Blue Moon. I'll take fruit in my beer! haha

Englund

TS Contributor
Here's me with two liters of beer in the middle of the day in Greece. I ordered a beer and got asked "small", "medium" or "large" and I went for a medium one. I should have asked for the size of it first. I finished the two liters of beer in an hour and a half or so, then I got a free snaps for my good work with the beer. Then I was drunk in the middle of the day :p

free image hosting