ggplot P value question

so I have a population that I plotted in ggplot, this is not a Test of any kind, just a population of interest, and I've added a few statistic to display
and one of them is P-Value / so I know P stands for Probability of 0 to 1 or 0% to 100%

so In general I know that if I am doing an A/B test I am looking for a value of 0.05 p-value to accept an alternative hypothesis, but if there is
just a plot population, what does the p-value mean ? when not compared to anything.

Just trying to clarify that in my brain :)

Thanks!

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
Also, if you have a population (not a sample), statistics and p value are moot since you know the truth - you have all the data!

right, but in my ggplot I have a simple regression line that I plot, to predict future trend, or at least near term / and I display some statistics for this regression line, so how does p-value come to play into that ? A Low p-value means the trend line can be trusted and there is good stable data ? and high p-value means the opposite ?

hlsmith

Less is more. Stay pure. Stay poor.
right, but in my ggplot I have a simple regression line that I plot, to predict future trend, or at least near term / and I display some statistics for this regression line, so how does p-value come to play into that ? A Low p-value means the trend line can be trusted and there is good stable data ? and high p-value means the opposite ?
Please post said figure. You don't need p value if you have the population, plus p values suck. Your coefficient tells you the slope of the line and the standard error serves as a measure similar to standard deviation. So you can add and subtract 2 * SE to get an understanding of the precision around the coefficient.