Got a job as marketing analyst

Englund

TS Contributor
I've just accepted a position as a marketing analyst at Ellos (a Swedish e-commerce company). My main responsibilities will be to model customer behaviour in order to direct campains more effectively. Or, as Wikipedia states it:
Wikipedia said:
"Consumer marketing research is a form of applied sociology that concentrates on understanding the preferences, attitudes, and behaviors of consumers in a market-based economy, and it aims to understand the effects and comparative success of marketing campaigns."
I just wonder if anyone here works in a similar position and maybe give some recommendations or just ramble about it :)

Congratulations! Hopefully you have taken up the job already and are enjoying it.

Pardon me, I don't have any experience of a marketing analyst (except some experience of customer segmentation), but I was wondering if your actual degree was in Market analysis. From your post it seems like this wasn't the case. So, could I then ask what degree you studied for - Data Mining? Statistics?

I ask because I studied for Data Mining, yet I have had no success in applying for the role of Market analyst.

Thanks.

Englund

TS Contributor
Thank you. I began yesterday, Monday. And so far it seems like a good job. Actually, the job is as an assistant market analyst and I've got a master's degree in statistics.

Englund

TS Contributor
Haha, of course I won't forget about you. Anyway, being new at a job is tough. So much stuff to learn. It is a lot tougher than school I say!

gianmarco

TS Contributor
..... and maybe give some recommendations or just ramble about it :)
Hi Englund,
just to share some thoughts about something that can be used in marketing research.
It is just a couple of examples, which stem from my interests in exploratory approaches to crosstabulated data:
-this is a video on "Etude de la liaison des préférences et de la description sensorielle des produits" (sorry is in French, but may be there is a version in English)
-this is an article on the use of Correspondence Analysis in marketing research.

To know more about Correspondence Analysis (and on its implementation in R), I refer you to my website http://cainarchaeology.weebly.com/.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Gm

noetsi

Fortran must die
Haha, of course I won't forget about you. Anyway, being new at a job is tough. So much stuff to learn. It is a lot tougher than school I say!
Amen. They actually expect you will get things done by a deadline, and not give you the data:p

Englund

TS Contributor
Amen. They actually expect you will get things done by a deadline, and not give you the data:p
Exactly! Before I thought rnorm(n,0,1) could give me all the answers but I about to change my mind. Anyway, I am working in SPSS Modeler (earlier it was called Clementine) and I am starting to like it a lot.

I'm glad they got you, having a stat degree, rather than a hybrid from business school, congrat's & best of luck

Anyway, being new at a job is tough. So much stuff to learn. It is a lot tougher than school I say!
for folks I know, myself included, who went into various fields, it could take around 6 months for you to catch on to their lingo

I mean, they obviously know you have the technical skills, but it'll take some time for you to be able to speak their language, don't feel down in the meantime, I'm sure your growth will be exponential

Congrats, Englund. I'm also doing modeling/forecasting/surveys/etc. at a marketing firm as an analyst (been here about 2.5 years). I don't have much in the way of ramblings, but would be happy to answer any specific questions you have.