Greetings and Salutations

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
I decided to take a look at some of the off-topic forums and saw there weren't many threads here. Since I plan on sticking around here for awhile, it seemed right to introduce myself.

I only recently joined up at the Math Help Forum (looks a lot like this place!) because I figured I should probably put the internet to my benefit when it comes to interacting with other mathematicians. It has been too long since I've had the chance to do that! I rarely ask questions, and even as I was about to, I ended up doing a web search on the topic. That search brought me here, and it looked so familiar I decided to stay. While it is very, very much slower than MHF, the topics are spot on to what I like. More on that below.

I'm from California (USA), and I graduated from CSU Sacramento in 2009 with a degree in mathematics and statistics. I had a short stint at UCD in economics, but lack of funding and poor support completely turned me off. I've been a grad student stuck in limbo for awhile now. Starting again at CSUS this fall. My plan is to use them as a stepping stone (get letters and more experience) to get into the stats program at UC Davis.

My interests are largely in using R, so expect to see me hanging around there a lot. I feel very novice when it comes to statistics, but I'm pretty confident in my R abilities. Honestly, most of my understanding in statistics has come after school. I've worked as a student for a government agency for over 3 years now (hiring freeze prevents me from getting paid real $$$). While the real statistical analyses are slim, due mainly to the fact the GAM and GLM and time series stuff required for it is well beyond my education, it has been a great learning experience for me, especially in using R. When I first was hired, it was mainly due to my computer background. They sat me down with our epidemiologist, and she sent me to work. I learned how to use R effectively in a week, and was already rewriting her code to simplify things; oh, how powerful a for loop can be!

Besides the mundane tasks of my job, I've also taken up a project similar to what UCLA did with Kutner, et al. "Applied Linear Statistical Models" (ALSM). Notice that they don't have any R code for the examples of the book, and it is the older edition. I bought the 5th edition and I've done the same thing. Note, that page hasn't been updated, mainly because it is a pain to manage the files (off-site). I've completed chapters 1 through 18, save for 13 and 14. I'm currently working on those. They're advanced topics, and the theory is going to be a bit over my head, but they are introductions, and I should have some comprehension of how to do that stuff in R, regardless.

This seems like a nice small community (at least compared to MHF), and I can already tell who some of the regulars seem to be. I've gone through and hit up some of the older blogs, especially in the R forum, that didn't have answers. I love learning statistics and solving problems. It will be a blast hanging out here.

Last edited:

Dason

Ambassador to the humans
Thanks for posting this! I was considering PMing you and asking about your background because you seem to know your stuff.

TheEcologist

Global Moderator
Hi Bryan,

Good to have you around. I bet we will be learning allot from you. We have some experienced R users here, so you'll fit right in. Welcome!

bryangoodrich

Probably A Mammal
Since I have made mention of my ALSM project before, I thought this might be a good place to let those that are interested and listening that I dumped my old wordpress for a private host and ... well ... wordpress (as my CMS). You can conveniently find me and my project(s) at:

http://www.bryangoodrich.com

Since it is also a lot easier (using ftp), I've uploaded the rest of the files so that I have a complete set of chapters from 1-18, save for 14; I've been busy lately doing GIS, and I think I might pick up that applied logistic regression book to learn a bit more as I finish that chapter.