Hello

I am ecologist (mainly ornithologist), and work as scientist. I know statistical analyses however sometimes the knowledge is too little. I use Statistika, PaST, MedCalc, SPADE and I begin to use the R.
Greetings

trinker

ggplot2orBust
Hi Ortolan. Glad to have you aboard. :welcome: There are a few other ecologists lurking about here (one who goes by the name TheEcologist in fact) and many R users.

What are some of the statistical methods you have interest in learning more about?

hlsmith

Not a robit
Any particular types of birds that you are interested in? I remember thinking it was fascinating when I figured out vultures evolved to not have feathers on their heads for hygiene, when going shoulder deep into carcuses!

hi hlsmith,
well, sometimes I meet some unique needs in statistical analyses, which can not managed by a popular software I use. That is why I try to use the R. For example here I have just started a thread about some demand for frequency distribution analysis.

Last edited:
Any particular types of birds that you are interested in? I remember thinking it was fascinating when I figured out vultures evolved to not have feathers on their heads for hygiene, when going shoulder deep into carcuses!
I study farmland bird communities mainly and I am interested especially in response of birds to habitat alteration, including the changes in landscape structure. I live in Poland and now we are learnng the same "lesson" about the impact of farming intensification as West Europe learned earlier... I like very much shrikes and buntings (Corn Ortolan).

Have you done much research with water birds and relationships with water regulation and or climate change?
No, I am interested strongly in climate changes and consequences for nature and people (and in popularizing the knowledge) but I have published the research on water bird only occassionaly. It dealt long-term changes is bird community in a small valley with fen and many small ponds which have remained after peat bog exploitation.

Last edited:

bugman

Super Moderator
No, I am interested strongly in climate changes and consequences for nature and people (and in popularizing the knowledge) but I have published the research on water bird only occassionaly. It dealt long-term changes is bird community in a small valley with fen and many small ponds which have remained after peat bog exploitation.
Sounds interesting! Welcome to the forum.